Diuretics

Which medicine can be used to lower BP other than diuretic?

Query: Hi doctor, A 50-year-old type 2 diabetic male with HBP and dry eye disease and diabetic retinopathy. Medicines: 100 units of slow Insulin, Valsartan 320 mg, Amlodipine 10 mg, Escitalopram 10 mg, Xiidra eye drops. After years of high HbA1c of around 10.5 last year has averaged around 6.5. HBP runs a...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reduce salt intake. Avoid alcohol and caffeine and nicotine in any form. Take plenty of fruits and vegetables. Reduce weight, do daily exercise. Take sleep of good quantity and quality, at least six hours uninterrupted sleep at night and 1 to 2 hours at day time. If you...  Read Full »

My lymphocyte percentage is 44%. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got a blood test conducted and the results indicate that my hemoglobin is 17.9 g/dL. My packed cell volume is 52.5%, RBC is 6.42 milliliter/mm3. Total leukocyte count is 14.3 thou/mm3. In differential leukocyte count, lymphocytes are 44% and in absolute leucocyte count, l...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to worry about your investigations. The number of red cells normally present varies according to person's age and sex. The normal hemoglobin value in an adult male can range up to 18 g/dL. It can be raised due to many reasons and these causes may b...  Read Full »

Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the details posted. Edema in cirrhosis patients is mainly due to low oncotic pressure in blood vessels because of low albumin. Cirrhosis compromise the synthetic function of the liver and so albumin production gets decreased. It is the albumin, which...  Read Full »

My mom's health has deteriorated completely in a year. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 56 years old. She has been a diabetic for the last 20 years. Her health has deteriorated completely in the last year. We found out through a biopsy that her kidney has been damaged. Her gallbladder was removed as it was infected and had a stone as big as a marble. The mouth a...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhinav Gupta

Diabetologist, Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She is having hypoalbuminemia (low level of albumin in the blood). Also, her serum potassium is high. We have to treat serum potassium first with diuretics and Insulin infusion. If the serum potassium does not come below 5.5, then she can go for dialysis. I would like to...  Read Full »

Please explain my father's heart problem from the medical report.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has diabetes for the past 15 years and he is suffering from heart problem for the past four years. Recently he was admitted to the hospital due to severe breathing problem, sudden fainting, loss of appetite and water accumulation in the stomach and legs. After taking treatment ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After careful review, I can appreciate well the sensitivity of the issues you and your family is suffering from. Your father seems to have left heart failure (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that landed him twice in the hospital. He is having the...  Read Full »

How to improve low sodium levels after a brain aneurysm repair surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My father underwent a brain aneurysm repair one and a half years ago, after which, he is having a constant loss of sodium. He is taking one Tolsama 15 mg tablet every alternate day to stabilize his sodium levels. He is also currently taking Encorate Chrono 500, Absolut 3G, Nexfolin and...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query about your father and it appears that he has SIADH (syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion). It commonly occurs after a brain surgery, due to excessive fluids and use of diuretics. The sodium levels usually return to normal soon, b...  Read Full »

I have excessive thirst and frequent urination. Are these due to my medications?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been on Lithium for bipolar disorder for over 20 years. From a blood test two years ago, I noticed that my GFR was below 40. So, I gradually started switching from Lithium to Epilim to avoid further damage to my kidneys. But now, I experience excessive thirst and I wake up at nig...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your detailed reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lithium commonly causes two types of renal disease, namely nephrogenic diabetes insipidus and chronic tubulointerstitial nephritis. Diabetes insipidus is causing the...  Read Full »

How to get cured from peripartum cardiomyopathy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from peripartum cardiomyopathy for the past six months. She is taking beta blockers and diuretic medicine for the past four months. Her heart EF is 38 % with flat T in ECG reports. Her heart function is normal. How many days does it take to get cured?  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Peripartum cardiomyopathy is a condition with an unknown cause. It follows after delivery for a few days to few weeks and manifests with the symptoms of heart failure. Beta blockers and diuretics are suitable. But the condition is not completely curable. The symptoms ca...  Read Full »

My stress test showed abnormality. Is there any health issue?

Query: Hi doctor, Shortness of breath and rapidly reaching maximum heart rate has been my concern for many years. I turned 50 this year. It is impacting my ability yo exercise, so thought it was time to investigate. I just had a cardiac catheterization test. No blockages were discovered. However, they were...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, you need to be started on medicines called as diuretics like Torsemide 10 mg once a day in the morning and also Amlodipine should be replaced with Beta blockers like Metoprolol XR 25 mg once a day. Both drugs will help you in relief of symptoms and also other ben...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for breathlessness after CABG?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had undergone a CABG x3 a year ago, but for the last three days, he is feeling breathlessness. What could be the reason?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How much is his ejection fraction in echo? The likely cause for his shortness of breath is an accumulation of fluid in lungs which occurs in patients with heart diseases. This is especially common in patients with reduced ejection fraction. I guess he does not have a...  Read Full »