Q. My blood pressure is fluctuating with time and high during night. Why?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2020

I think I have something along the lines of a bipolar hypertension situation. I wake up in the morning, my blood pressure is prehypertension to around hypertension stage 1. Not that bad. But In the evening, to later in the night my BP is through the roof. In the midnight, my BP is measured to be 176/126 on standing. When I lay down on my left side and it is down to 110/60 after a few minutes. I could use some help in figuring this out. I am 20 old.

#

I understand your concern, do not be bothered you will be fine. I advise you to get a pen and paper, write down your blood pressure measurement for three days. Make sure to measure immediately you wake up from sleep in the morning before any activity. Get back to me with the readings, it will help understand what is happening.

I have got the averages for my BP here. Around 120/80 standing up in the morning. Afternoon I am getting around 130/ 87 and in the evening I get around 140/80 or 140/90, and at night time (10 PM) before I hit the hay is weird. I will explain.

At first, I do feel odd, the heart is pumping pretty hard. I got a reading just tonight of 153/128. I sat down for a second, not a minute goes by, I take it again while sitting, it is down to 140/88. I stand back up again and it is 145/98. I do not know anymore, hardly 2 minutes went by after that really high reading. I took it yet again after a few minutes, still standing upright, it was 135/93.

In a nutshell, the longer I stand up, the more stable my BP is, but if I do any activity, it is back up there quite a bit. I did however only hit that high reading once, the diastolic pressure never got back above 100 after that.

#

Your explanation made it easy to understand totally the whole situation. It is physiological (normal) for blood pressure readings to be higher than normal when measured while standing or after physical activity.

The most important and accurate blood pressure reading is the one measured first thing in the morning of which your is perfect. My advice is that you avoid checking your blood pressure too frequently. It can make you anxious. Henceforth twice a week is enough and should be the first thing in the morning before activity.

Adopt a life of regular exercise if you do not, avoid bad habits like smoking, drinking, and eat healthily. There is absolutely nothing to be worried about. You are fine.

I will try to get myself back into shape.

#

Please ensure to continue exercising and dieting. It is the surest way to maintain good health in general.

|