Q. How should I control my BP in winter?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Dec 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 35 year old male. In winter, My BP increases to around 160/105 mmHg; however, in summer, it is normal at 130/90 mmHg. I do not feel any problems yet such as headache. Now, I feel some shortness of breath. How should I control my BP in winter season? I have already started taking less salt and eating raw garlic in the morning. I have not taken any medicines, yet to control BP. I do not want to start any regular medicines at this age. In my family, my mother also has high BP. Please tell me some ways to cure or control my BP. Here are my details. Height - 5 feet 9 inches, weight - 69 kg, body fat - normal, BMI - normal, kidney function test - normal and ECG - normal. My lipid profile is on the higher side, but not very high. Only HDL and LDL are out of range. HDL - 34 mg/dL and LDL - 114 mg/dL. All other things are in the range, but on the higher side.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the details posted.

Kindly confirm whether your blood pressure is raised during winter by repeated BP recordings. Before BP recording you should not take any hit beverage, smoking and be calm.

If you have any doubt, then go for ambulatory blood pressure monitoring as they can confirm whether you have hypertension or not.

Once if you are diagnosed as HTN (hypertension - high blood pressure), then first is the therapeutic lifestyle changes like low salt diet, avoid tea and coffee, regular physical exercise, take more fruits and vegetables.

The above measures can decrease BP by at least 10 mmHg. We can try the non-pharmacological management for two to three weeks. If the pressure did not come down, then we need to start medication.

It is better to start tablet Cilnidipine 5 mg in the morning, if medication is required. Please discuss my opinion with your doctor and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Article Overview: You can reduce the ill effects of hypertension like heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease by making changes to your lifestyle. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Hypertension is defined as any of the following: Systolic pressure or upper value of blood pressure more than 140 mmHg. Diastolic pressure or lower value of blood pressure more than 90 mmHg. There is no substitute to drugs/medications to keep blood pressure levels under control in a hypertensive...  Read Article

Hypertension and Skipping Anti-Hypertensive Pills - A Small Step Towards a Big Mistake

Article Overview: This article tells about the misconceptions prevalent among people against having anti-hypertensive pills.  Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Blood Pressure and Symptoms - A Gist : Blood pressure is basically the pressure faced by the walls of the blood vessels when the blood is ejected from the heart with a level of force. Under normal circumstances this force is essential for the blood to circulate well in the body. Raised blood pressur...  Read Article