Blood Streaked Cough

What does it mean when I spit mucus with blood in it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old woman, non-smoker. Some times when I clear my throat I spit mucus with a little blood. I am not sick and I have no cough. What could it be? I consulted an ENT doctor before.  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How many years do you smoke? Do you drink alcohol? What did the ENT doctor say about you?  Read Full »

I get bad cough with pain in tonsils. Please suggest medication.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 14-year-old male. Last week, I had really bad pain under, which I realized was my tonsils. I went to a doctor to get it checked out. He said they were definitely infected, but they did not give me any medication. He said it would go away by itself. Now, I have a really bad coug...  Read Full »

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is surprising that you were not started on medications despite your tonsillitis and throat complaints. It may be possible that your symptoms or findings were subclinical when you saw the doctor and it may have worsened further since then. It sounds like a throat inf...  Read Full »

What are the causes of blood in sputum?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 55 years old. He is a patient having DM, CAD, CABG, HT, CKD and SHT. Now, he has severe cough for more than 15 days and can see blood occasionally while spitting. He is also undergoing dialysis twice in a week. His present hemoglobin is 8.1, creatinine is 4.6 and urea is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Mittal

Child Health Specialist, Medical Oncologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to cliniq.com. Your father has severe renal failure. The blood in cough could be due to many reasons. I think you need to concentrate on his dialysis. If blood in sputum continues, then we need to find out reasons for this by x-ray or CT scan. I do think you should not be w...  Read Full »

I had blood in my cough. Is this cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25-years-old. I am a smoker, and I have smoked for five years. My issue was four months ago. I got my chest X-ray, and it was normal. Then I gave up smoking for three months then again smoked for 1.5 months, but before five months, I smoked 15 cigarettes. After some days on, I was...  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not usually worry this type of dry cough is due to allergy, environmental pollution, change in weather, etc. And smoking will usually worsen it. But you told that X-ray chest was normal that is a good thing. The worrying things are if in case you are suffering fro...  Read Full »

Please suggest ayurvedic medicine for persistent cough.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year woman. I read about ayurveda on the internet and would like to use it as a means to find a lasting cure for my health problems. I have been coughing for over 2 years now and cough up blood and also have pain on the right upper side of my back. I also experience dizzines...  Read Full »

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Ayurveda Specialist, Yoga Specialist, Nutritionist, Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good to hear about ayurveda from you. But we cannot neglect chronic cough with blood. So, it is my humble request for you to visit a local physician immediately and get back to me with the reports like x-ray, blood test, etc.  Read Full »

I am coughing up blood in the mornings past three days. Should I worry?

Query: Hi doctor, I saw a blood streak while coughing into a tissue in the morning for the past three days, occurring only in the morning. I had a cold, but now I have just been coughing for the past 10 days. Please tell me if the blood I see is something to worry about or not. Also, I would like to know ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramkesh Prasad

General Practitioner, Preventive Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you have a blood streak while coughing and only in the morning. You have also mentioned that you have a cold. There are many possibilities as to what caused the blood streak with your cough. As you have been suffering from a cough, it is hi...  Read Full »

I get blood along with a cough. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I get cold, I have blood coming along with a cough. I have this problem for the past one year. After drinking water and taking cough syrup, it becomes normal. I went to the doctor, and a chest X-ray was done. The result was normal. After a month, I had the same problem and went ...  Read Full »

Dr. Harsha D S

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blood in sputum can occur due to different causes. We need to find the reason whether the blood comes from the nose or throat. It can also occur due to localized damage to the lungs called bronchiectasis. But it is usually seen in CT scan. Please send me the images of t...  Read Full »

Does coughing up blood mean cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I was a smoker for four and half years. Six months back, I got my chest X-ray, and my reports were normal. Then I was an intermittent smoker, and I caught a cough. It was dry. I did not care and did not take medications for it, but within a week, it increased. So when I took medicatio...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blood is coming out while blowing nose is quite common and does not mean cancer always. During weather change and dry seasons, it is quite possible that the nasal mucosa gets dries and abraded and bleeds once a while till it heals completely. Smoking is very serious ...  Read Full »

Despite taking medicine, I have cough and wheezing. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I was coughing up dark yellow mucus with blood streaks. So, I went to my doctor and she prescribed Keflex. After about two days, I broke out a rash from head to toe. So, I went back and she put me on Roxithromycin and three days of Prednisolone. I am on my second day of new antibiotics an...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The asthmatic attack might be due to the drug allergy, which you might have had. I suggest you to get a sputum culture to identify which antibiotic suits. Also, I suggest you to take nebulization with Asthalin which will ease the breathing. My suggestion for you to be und...  Read Full »