Q. Why do I get blood along with the cough?

Dr. Harsha D S

Whenever I get cold, I have blood coming along with a cough. I have this problem for the past one year. After drinking water and taking cough syrup, it becomes normal. I went to the doctor, and a chest X-ray was done. The result was normal. After a month, I had the same problem and went to the doctor. He suggested me to do an X-ray, sputum test and CT scan. I did all the tests, and the results came normal. Even today also, I had the same problem. I do not understand. Why do I have these symptoms when everything is normal? Please suggest.

#

Blood in sputum can occur due to different causes. We need to find the reason whether the blood comes from the nose or throat. It can also occur due to localized damage to the lungs called bronchiectasis. But it is usually seen in CT scan. Please send me the images of the chest X-ray and CT scan to guide you further.

I am attaching the images. I have a sound coming from my lungs whenever I breathe. It is very frequent. I do not know from where it begins. When I get blood coming along with a cold, I also have chest pain, and the outer portion of my rib in my chest get swollen. Please help.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your images are not clear. I require a high-quality photo of the CT. However, the report is normal. I would suggest you have a consultation with an ENT doctor to rule out the bleeding from the nose or upper airways. If the ENT doctor says that there is no bleeding in the upper airways, consult a pulmonologist. You may need to undergo bronchoscopy.

|