iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersAllergy Specialistblood streaked coughDoes coughing up blood mean cancer?

Does coughing up blood mean cancer?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 3, 2018
Reviewed AtMay 22, 2023

Patient's Query

I was a smoker for four and a half years. Six months back, I got my chest X-ray, and my reports were normal. Then I was an intermittent smoker, and I had a cough. It was dry. I did not care and did not take medications for it, but within a week, it increased. So when I took the medication, it was gone but not totally. Since then, I have been coughing once or twice a day. But I have not been taking proper medication and rest. I am always on tour. I ate curd and caught a cold yesterday. When I cleared my nose, blood came in, so I coughed on purpose to see if it was from my lungs, but no blood from there, and today also, the same thing happened. That is, I cleared my nose, and blood came. What is it? Is it cancer? I am scared.

Blood coming out while blowing the nose is quite common and does not always mean cancer. During weather changes and dry seasons, it is quite possible that the nasal mucosa dries, rubs, and bleeds once in a while until it heals completely. Smoking is severe and is associated with increased aerodigestive tract cancer. We would like to know how many cigarettes you used to smoke. The number of cigarettes per day before six months and then whenever you smoked. Did you take alcohol as well? What are your age and profession? Do you practice reverse smoking? Do you use cigarettes or beedi?

For the current problem, I suggest you start a saline nasal spray and nasal douching. You may use Solspre (Sodium chloride) nasal spray and Nasowash (Sodium chloride) nasal douching. For phlegm in a cough, you may take some mucolytics medicines. Do revert to us after four days and let us know how you feel. Refrain from smoking till then.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Allergy Specialist

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy