Q. Does coughing up blood mean cancer?

I was a smoker for four and half years. Six months back, I got my chest X-ray, and my reports were normal. Then I was an intermittent smoker, and I caught a cough. It was dry. I did not care and did not take medications for it, but within a week, it increased. So when I took medication, it was gone but not totally. Since then I have been coughing once or twice a day. But I have not been taking proper medication and rest. I am always on tour.

I ate curd and caught a cold yesterday. When I cleared my nose, blood came in so I coughed on purpose to see if it is from my lungs but no blood from there and today also the same thing happened. That is I cleared my nose and blood came. What is it? Is it cancer? I am scared.

#

Blood is coming out while blowing nose is quite common and does not mean cancer always. During weather change and dry seasons, it is quite possible that the nasal mucosa gets dries and abraded and bleeds once a while till it heals completely. Smoking is very serious and is associated with increased aerodigestive tract cancer. We would like to know how many cigarettes you used to smoke. The number of cigarettes per day before six months and then whenever you smoked. Did you take alcohol as well? What is your age, profession? Do you practice reverse smoking? Do you use cigarette or beedi?

For the current problem, I suggest you start on saline nasal spray and nasal douching. You may use Solspre (Sodium chloride) nasal spray and Nasowash (Sodium chloride) nasal douching. For phlegm in a cough, you may take some mucolytics medicines. Do revert back to us after four days and let us know how you feel. Refrain from smoking till then.

For more information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|