Q. I get little blood while spitting mucus. Why?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I am a 39-year-old woman, non-smoker. Some times when I clear my throat I spit mucus with a little blood. I am not sick and I have no cough. What could it be? I consulted an ENT doctor before.

#

How many years do you smoke? Do you drink alcohol? What did the ENT doctor say about you?

I do not smoke as I said before and I did not drink alcohol also. I went to the ENT doctor before two months for laryngitis. But I do not have anything now and I am not ill with no cough. Just when I force the phlegm to clear out from my throat sometimes I see a little blood.

#

The blood with the mucus can be of a nasal origin as few blood drops comes back to drop in your throat. Also, the blood can be of a pharyngeal origin because of the rupture of minor superficial blood vessels. You are a singer so there is a great possibility of laryngeal and pharyngeal exhaustion and minor trauma of minor blood vessels.

Do not panic, you have to be worry only if your voice has changed or in case of spitting a large amount of pure blood. Some blood tests as complete blood picture, bleeding time, clotting time and prothrombin time are useful to exclude bleeding tendency diseases.

|