iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal Medicineblood sugar levelsIs fasting blood sugar level of 102 mg/dl suggestive of diabetes?

My fasting blood sugar level is 102 mg/dl. Do I have diabetes?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 19, 2019
Reviewed AtOctober 19, 2019

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 32 years old male, and my fasting blood sugar level is marked as 102 mg/dl and triglycerides 192 mg/dl and total cholesterol 209 mg/dl.

Are they high? What could be the reason for the high readings?

Do I have diabetes? Should I need medicines? What should I do?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your sugar is normal, and it is not in a diabetic range. Fasting more than 126 mg/dl is diabetic, and more than 110 mg/dl is pre-diabetic.

Triglycerides and total cholesterol are mildly elevated and not worrisome. Since it is mildly elevated, likely cause is diet and inadequate exercises.

Since you are young and it is just a mild elevation, medicines are not recommended. You need to have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily, fried, and high-calorie diets.

Also, have plenty of green leafy vegetables.

Avoid meat, alcohol, and smoking if any consumption is there.

Egg yolk should be avoided if egg consumption is there.

Should have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to capacity.

You should get it repeated after eight weeks of lifestyle modifications and see for the response. LDL cholesterol is more important than total cholesterol, so should mention its value.

So, overall, these are minor abnormalities and not worrisome, can be well-taken care by a healthy lifestyle.

I hope this helps you.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

I have a little vision weakness since 20 years.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

The vision weakness is not related to these test derangements or heart issues. It is better to visit an ophthalmologist for the same if not evaluated.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

high triglycerides

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy