Q. What is the normal range of blood sugar in a newborn?

Published on Oct 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

God has blessed me with a sweet angel today. She is 3.170 kg in weight, and all came up normal. The sugar level was 32, so doctor shifted her to NICU. Now, glucose supplement is going on along with mouth feed in an interval. Her heart rate is 136 bpm, and SPO2 is 100. Do I need to worry on this anymore? Please advice. Are there any cases where the baby is born with less sugar in blood? How to cope up with the same?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• It has multiple causes, and the common one is a sudden change in the environment on the basis that from mother to outside.
  • Many newborns get such symptoms, and most of the times it is not a matter of worry. It resolves in a day or two as the baby adapts to the environment.
  • Feedings should be offered at 2 to 3 hour intervals and the newborn monitored for symptoms like jitteriness, tremors, sweating, irritability, etc., consistent with hypoglycemia. Breast milk is a strongly preferred one.
  • Overall, it does not look like a matter of worry.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I hope all will be fine. As glucose supplement and food are going through the mouth, her glucose increased to 47 and then to 67. So, is it becoming normal? Also, what is the normal range of sugar in a newborn?

#

• Yes, it is becoming normal.
  • By four to six hours of age, sugar is in the range of 45 to 80 mg/dL. Then, it rises more slowly in the next few days to concentrations similar to those seen in adults that is, more than 60-70 mg/dL.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Good news is now her glucose peaked to 72 with less than a day and with no extra dose of glucose. Today's action is to lower the glucose saline (formula) and increase feed by mouth and monitor. Her current feed by mouth is 12 mL of milk every 2 hour. Out of worry, I asked the RMO in NICU, if she is fine and is the only candidate who has this. The doctor said that it is quite normal and good that we catch in beginning. She also mentioned that my baby is doing fine and no dose needed to be increased for her regarding glucose. She also said that some babies might require overdose and take two or three days to cope up. I hope everything is in the right direction. Do you have any idea about when my baby can be transferred back to nursery? As a matter of fact, I know I sound dovish, you can understand what tension I am going through. Your quick reply is highly appreciated.

#

• Yes, as of now, there is no matter of worry. She should be fine. It is a common condition as I mentioned.
  • She is probably there just for observation and should be shifted out in a day or so. Congratulations and all the best.

How to Fight Hypoglycemia?

Article Overview: Hypoglycemia or low sugar is common in diabetic patients. It is very important for us to know how to encounter it when it happens. What is needed to be done in case of emergency is discussed in this article. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

Hypoglycemia occurs when plasma glucose is lower than 70 mg/dl. There are three stages of hypoglycemia: Mild hypoglycemia - Symptoms like tingling sensation, dizziness, hunger, weakness, etc Severe hypoglycemia - Loss of consciousness Moderate hypoglycemia - Palpitation, tremors, confusion, di...  Read Article

What are the reasons for hypoglycemia?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been suffering from diabetes for three years. She is 61 years old and weighs 40 kg. She was on Gemer-1. Early morning around 5 AM, she often complains of excessive sweating and weakness. Sweating stops after taking tea, biscuit or sugar. She has stopped taking medication for...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your mother is getting hypoglycemic attacks during early morning hours. Hypoglycemic attacks are episodes of low blood sugar values occurring in blood. Due to this she is having excessive sweating and weakness. Taking a sweet item is the correct treatment for such an atta...  Read Full

My husband had five episodes of hypoglycemia in a single day. What could be causing all these?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has type 1 diabetes. He has had no Insulin today but has had five hypos today, and his sugar levels are dropping again. He had his regular food all day, drank juice and cans of coke. He has not done anything different to any other day and also has not been stressed either. He t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How long has he had diabetes? When you say hypo, what were his sugars? What is the dose of insulin that he is taking? Revert with the details to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist  Read Full