Q. Are my blood test results worrisome?

Dr. Smrita Singh

I am a 57 year old male. I just had a blood test. Results: Hemocrit 60.0 (h), Blood Urea Nitrogen 24 (h), MCV 96.6 (H), MCHC 31.9 (L), Creatinine 1.36 (H), Basophils 2.1 (H), All other labs were normal.

#

BUN levels represent the balance between urea production (liver), urea breakdown, and urea elimination (kidneys). Therefore, BUN is an indicator of kidney health and/or liver health.

A high hematocrit could be due to many reasons and is not an indication of iron overload. Your hematocrit is not that high. Serum iron, TIBC, and serum ferritin levels are better indicators of iron overload in hemochromatosis.

Your MCV is only slightly elevated. So, there is no need to worry about that.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|