Q. Are my blood test results worrisome?

Dr. Smrita Singh
Published on Feb 05, 2018

I am a 57 year old male. I just had a blood test. Results: Hemocrit 60.0 (h), Blood Urea Nitrogen 24 (h), MCV 96.6 (H), MCHC 31.9 (L), Creatinine 1.36 (H), Basophils 2.1 (H), All other labs were normal.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

BUN levels represent the balance between urea production (liver), urea breakdown, and urea elimination (kidneys). Therefore, BUN is an indicator of kidney health and/or liver health.

A high hematocrit could be due to many reasons and is not an indication of iron overload. Your hematocrit is not that high. Serum iron, TIBC, and serum ferritin levels are better indicators of iron overload in hemochromatosis.

Your MCV is only slightly elevated. So, there is no need to worry about that.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

My CRP value is 2.61. What does it indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, In my routine blood check, the CRP value came up as 2.61. Is this harmful? The lipid profile is as per nominal value. I am attaching the reports.  Read Full >>

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I find that your MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is raised, and SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) are slightly raised and CRP as wel...  Read Full

Should I get a bone marrow biopsy to rule out possible MPN?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49-year-old female who has chronic health problems going back for awhile. Originally, I was told I had lupus but now I am beginning to think it is something else. Nine months back, I consulted an orthopedic surgeon due to suspected necrosis in left hip, after an arthrogram was don...  Read Full >>

Dr. Matías

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked your blood tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read your complaints about your health. Apparently, you have a rheumatic disease. It does not seem to be lupus or rheumatoid arthritis at first sight according to the laboratory repo...  Read Full

A few things are highlighted in my CBC. What is the further course of action?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 50 years old. I am getting muscle pain in legs if I walk a long distance. Also, I am an asthma patient and currently on Theo Asthalin forte tablet and inhaler. Today, I had a complete blood checkup. In the report, the following are highlighted. Total bilirubin count 1.31, red cell di...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Your vitamin B12 level is mildly low, which has resulted in early changes in RBC (red blood cell) size. In vitamin B12 deficiency, macrocytes are seen or MC...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now