Q. Is it normal to have high RBC and hemoglobin counts with low glycated hemoglobin?

Published on Mar 09, 2019

I am 53 years old, 183 lbs, 5'4". For years, I ran a high white blood count and the oncologist said nothing can be done about that. We need to now watch red blood count and RBC distribution and watch my spleen. Now approximately nine years later, for the last four years, I am seeing red blood count high, hemoglobin high, hematocrit high, monocytes high, red cell distribution worth high, mean corpuscular hemoglobin content low, glycated hemoglobin high. I am very concerned.

Hematology Pathology
#

I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion. Your attached reports are suggestive of high RBC, hemoglobin, and HCT as per provided reference range in a laboratory report. So it is suggestive of polycythemia. It can be primary or secondary. Primary polycythemia seems very less likely here as total WBC count and platelet count is within range. Primary polycythemia is a myeloproliferative neoplasm. Although the possibility is very less you can rule it out by JAK2 mutation test and exon 12 study by a molecular test.

For secondary polycythemia, rule out cardiac and respiratory causes by EKG and chest X-ray investigation. Your glycated hemoglobin is slightly high (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which is suggestive of a prediabetic stage. So take less sweets and fatty meals. Regular exercises are also beneficial. Repeat sugar testing with fasting and postprandial blood glucose estimation.

Your vitamin D level is low for which Cholecalciferol sachet 60000 IU once a week for eight weeks can be prescribed. The slight high monocyte could be due to cytomegalovirus infection. For that virus only symptomatic management can be done. There is no specific medical treatment for that. Your CBC result is not alarming but needs to be monitored. If you are a smoker, then it can also lead to such a finding. Your ANA is positive which can be falsely positive in infection. So repeat it after few days and clinical correlation is needed for that. I suggest you consult near by hematologist for detailed examination and discuss all these.

Why do I have a burning sensation while passing urine?

Query: Hello doctor, In recent test reports, the following test values are out of range: Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) is 83, uric acid is 7.9, serum creatinine is 1.13, BUN to serum creatinine ratio is 7.59, 25-hydroxyvitamin D (total) is 8.73, homocysteine is 30, iron 57.8, and red cel...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like the HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is on the higher side. Please get your fasting blood sugar and postprandial blood sugar done. The symptoms which you have can be explai...  Read Full

What is the meaning behind my blood values?

Query: Hi doctor, What is the meaning behind having these blood values? MCV 72.9- MCH 25.0- RBC 5.79+ All other values are normal except for globulin 2.15. Can it be an anemia while having normal hemoglobin and normal RBC count (even higher than normal?  Read Full >>

Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. MCV stands for mean corpuscular volume which is the mean volume of the red blood cells. MCH is mean corpuscular hemoglobin, which is the mean amount of hemoglobin in each red blood cell. From your test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it doe...  Read Full

How can high blood sugar be treated in someone who has chronic diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has an 18-year history of type 2 diabetes mainly due to stress. HbA1c is 11 and fasting blood sugar level is 247 with G.M.SR 2. Her ESR is 40. She is suffering from frequent body aches these days especially in shoulders. In the past, she has taken Glimestar. P...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A fasting blood sugar level of 247 is quite high and HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) of 11 indicates uncontrolled blood sugar. The medication that your mother is taking is not sufficient to control her blood sugar. She definitely needs a revision of her prescription.&...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now