Q. What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido
Published on Nov 10, 2018

I did a blood test. Kindly evaluate it and give advice.

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido

#

Your laboratory test is fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity) but you have your liver enzymes a bit over the limit of normality. The most common cause for this alteration is fatty liver. The less expensive way to know this for sure is doing a liver ultrasound. If it is the first time you have this results, the most recommendable thing to do is to take new liver function test (including gamma-glutamyl transferase) in six months. Meanwhile, you should improve your diet (less simple carbohydrates, more natural fats) and exercise at least 30 minutes a day five days a week.

The metabolic syndrome includes the following. Large waist circumference, a waistline that measures at least 35 inches (89 centimeters) for women and 40 inches (102 centimeters) for men. High triglyceride level 150 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or 1.7 millimoles per liter (mmol/L), or higher of this type of fat found in blood. Reduced high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol less than 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L) in women. Increased blood pressure 130/85 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or higher. Elevated fasting blood sugar 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) or higher. So you should check on these other points, too. The rest of your lab tests are normal. Kidney function is fine, uric acid is fine.

| 

One month before I did the same test. Please see. Any drastic change in the report?

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido

#

It has changed a lot. Your lipid profile got much better, but your liver enzymes were normal one month. Did you start on a new medication? Some of the drugs that are used to lower your cholesterol can alter the liver function tests. Depending on your age and presence of other comorbidities (high blood pressure or diabetes), we usually evaluate if you need or not drugs at this point.

| 

No medicine I am taking for cholesterol but I reduced food a lot and I am planning to start exercise and now I am mainly having soup and veggies and yes, less sleep or delay in sleep is the problem I have. Otherwise, I am alright.

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido

#

Wow, well your change in diet has totally improved your lipid profile. You just need a little more natural fats like almond, avocado, salmon, and exercise to get your HDL (good cholesterol) a bit higher. About your liver enzymes, alcohol is another common cause of the alteration. You do not have to worry much right now for this if you are feeling fine. We can look at a new liver enzyme tests in 4 to 5 months to see if it gets better all by itself or we need more tests to search for the cause.

| 

No, I am not a drinker. Only two bad habits I had, it was my food habit from outside that I changed. Please advise if I should do any thing to reduce enzymes.

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido

#

The causes of this alterations are extense. The most common is a fatty acid, drugs (including herbs or herbs tea) and viral (such as hepatitis A that resolves by itself) and rare causes (such as autoimmune). The first thing to do is keep on the good diet, avoid drugs that can hurt your liver, avoid natural drugs (not all of them are safe for the liver). Whenever we encounter these mild alterations with no identified cause, we just need to follow-up. You do not have to worry, just check this again in a few months.

| 

Whether less sleep or black tea or lemon consumption or masturbation can affect badly?

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido

#

Less sleep and stress usually make it a little harder to control your lipid profile. The rest is perfect.

| 

Thanks for your advice.

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido

#

You are welcome. I hope it was helpful. Take care.

| 

What is Ecosprin AV 75 used for?

Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes, my father used to get chest pain. Angiography showed that he has a LAD bridging and vessels are normal and clear. His echo is normal. His BP, blood sugar and cholesterol are normal. After the chest pain, he was given the following medicines for one year. They are Stator, Is...  Read Full »

I am pre-diabetic. Can I take malt-based drinks once a day?

Query: Hello doctor,I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic six years ago. I have avoided sugar completely since. I would like to know whether I can take malt-based beverages once a day.  Read Full »

Should I get a bone marrow biopsy to rule out possible MPN?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49-year-old female who has chronic health problems going back for awhile. Originally, I was told I had lupus but now I am beginning to think it is something else. Nine months back, I consulted an orthopedic surgeon due to suspected necrosis in left hip, after an arthrogram was don...  Read Full »