Q. I am a 41-year-old woman with a pea-sized boil in between my buttocks. Please help.

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I am a 41-year-old woman. I have got a boil or a small lump between my buttocks for a week. It is not painful, but when I touch it, there is a slight pain. Please can you suggest to me some treatment for it? Thank you.

#

Do you have a fever? Is the boil pus-filled? Are you taking any medicines, or do you have any drug allergies? Do you have diabetes, hypertension, or thyroid issues? Have you had any fungal infections in the past? Please answer these questions for a better diagnosis.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have a fever, diabetes, hypertension, thyroid issues, and past fungal infection. I am not taking any medicines, and I do not have allergies to medications. There is no noticeable pus in the boil. Thank you, and I am awaiting your response.

#

Superficial furunculosis (folliculitis) or Bockhart's impetigo is the most likely diagnosis. It is a superficial inflammation of the hair follicle. Good hygiene practice, especially hand hygiene, plays a vital role. Apply anti-bacterial cream with clean hands. Do you scratch or rub the lesions excessively? Do you use old razors? Do you have excess hair growth on your thighs? Do you frequently use oily or greasy cosmetic products like lotion and oil? I suggest T-Bact ointment (Mupirocin) twice daily for ten days or Retapamulin one percent ointment at night for seven days. What is the size of the lesion approximately? Are there multiple lesions? Is there any inflammation or itching aggravating at night? Do you have mite allergies? Is there a history of atopy (skin allergies)? Do your family members also have such lesions? Please answer these questions in detail. Also, please attach a clinical picture of the lesion if possible. Follow up for any doubts.

Thanks for the reply.

I have never used razors, and I do not scratch or rub the lesion. I do not have excessive hair growth in my thigh region. I have not used any oily or greasy cosmetic products. It is a pea-sized single lesion. There are no itching or skin allergies. I will surely follow your suggestions.

#

Please avoid scratching or rubbing the lesion as it may cause secondary bacterial infection. Apply anti-bacterial cream (topical treatment suggested previously). Check your sugar levels regularly and keep them under control. Eat a healthy and nutritious diet. Drink lots of water (eight glasses of water a day). Eat green vegetables, salad, fresh fruits, or juices. Eat avocado, berries, sweet lime, watermelon, papaya, orange, and mangoes for good skin. Do you have any lesions on your face? Please follow up for any doubts.

|