Q. How to get rid of folliculitis?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Oct 16, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from folliculitis that is pimple on scalp filled with pus. I would be grateful if you could advice me the treatment for the same.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

You need to take oral as well as topical antibiotics. Start with tablet Augmentin (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) 625 mg twice daily for a week and apply Mupirocin ointment on the pimples twice daily till they resolve. This normally takes 7-10 days.

If they are recurrent, then go for blood sugar fasting to rule out diabetes and pus culture to find the exact bacteria responsible for your folliculitis.

Staphylococcus aureus bacteria.

Blood sugar fasting and pus culture.

Folliculitis.

Frequent hand washing prevents spread of infection.

Revert back after a week to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I cannot apply the ointment, as I have lesions on my whole scalp and in between hairs it is not possible to apply ointment. Please check the photo which I have attached.

Kindly tell me the best solution to avoid recurrence of the condition. I am having pain and itch in my scalp and I am getting bald due to that. Please get me some solution.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• If it is not possible to apply the ointment take the oral antibiotics.
  • Wash your hair daily with Cetrilak (Cetrimide) solution. Dilute the solution in water and keep it on your scalp for 5-10 minutes and then wash it.
  • Along with this take tablet Lyser-D (Diclofenac) twice daily for five days.
  • Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily till itching subsides.

This will help you. You can continue this for 1 week.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

How can I cure ocular rosacea, blepharitis, and MGD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22-year-old girl. I have had eye problems for around nine months and have seen several eye doctors and ophthalmologists who all have told me different things and tried a lot of different treatments that have not worked. I am a contact lens wearer with extremely bad eyesight and fi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can imagine the situation you are going through. MGD (meibomian gland dysfunction) with dry eyes related to rosacea is a disturbing problem. Your doctor is treating it very well but in spite of all, you are still having problems. You have done warm compresses, taken ora...  Read Full

Why am I having cold draining nose and body pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have rhinitis as per history. I suggest you taking Levocetirizine 5 mg OD for five days which is decongestant. You can also take Vitamin C 500 mg BD for five days. If fever is also there, then take Paracetamol 500 mg SOS. You can take steam inhalation of warm wa...  Read Full

Why is balanitis not responding to T-Bact and Augmentin 625?

Query: Hello doctor,I have balanitis on the head of my penis, below the foreskin. I am applying T-Bact and taking Augmentin 625 as an oral pill. It has been four days since I have started the medication. It is not going, though itching has reduced somewhat. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Balanitis can be either bacterial, fungal, viral or non-infectious. The most common being fungal. It is difficult to say without seeing your clinical picture. Please attach your clinical picture along with your query so that it is convenient for me to comment on your c...  Read Full