Q. How to get rid of folliculitis?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from folliculitis that is pimple on scalp filled with pus. I would be grateful if you could advice me the treatment for the same.

#

You need to take oral as well as topical antibiotics. Start with tablet Augmentin (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) 625 mg twice daily for a week and apply Mupirocin ointment on the pimples twice daily till they resolve. This normally takes 7-10 days.

If they are recurrent, then go for blood sugar fasting to rule out diabetes and pus culture to find the exact bacteria responsible for your folliculitis.

Staphylococcus aureus bacteria.

Blood sugar fasting and pus culture.

Folliculitis.

Frequent hand washing prevents spread of infection.

Revert back after a week to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I cannot apply the ointment, as I have lesions on my whole scalp and in between hairs it is not possible to apply ointment. Please check the photo which I have attached.

Kindly tell me the best solution to avoid recurrence of the condition. I am having pain and itch in my scalp and I am getting bald due to that. Please get me some solution.

#

• If it is not possible to apply the ointment take the oral antibiotics.
  • Wash your hair daily with Cetrilak (Cetrimide) solution. Dilute the solution in water and keep it on your scalp for 5-10 minutes and then wash it.
  • Along with this take tablet Lyser-D (Diclofenac) twice daily for five days.
  • Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily till itching subsides.

This will help you. You can continue this for 1 week.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|