Q. What causes boils in the ear of a diabetic and hypertensive patient?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 16, 2020

My wife is 70 years old. She is diabetic and hypertensive, she has dry and itchy skin. For that she is taking head bath and applying oil on scalp. She is prone to sinus problems. Now for a couple of days there are boils inside and outside left ear. It is troubling her very much. Please suggest some medication or remedy for immediate relief.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

With the picture it appears like a hair follicle infection of the small hair in the ear canal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Considering her age and that she suffers from diabates and hypertension (diabetic people have slightly less immunity compared to normal people) I am suggesting antibiotics for her.

Tablet Augmentin 625, 1 tablet thrice daily after meals x 5 days, tablet Chymoral Forte 1 tab thrice daily before meals x 3 days, tablet DOLO 650, 1 tablet SOS for pain, can take upto three tablets per day in divided doses. T-BACT ointment use clean little finger and apply the ointment thrice daily over the area. If using ear buds take particular care that it does not go deep and injure the ear drum. Do not let water enter while taking bath. Keep a cotton plug (spread with some T-Bact ointment or vaseline) inside the affected ear and throw it off after bath.

This condition is called acute localised otitis externa (furuncle of external ear). It appears that there is a single boil with a lot of redness in the picture you showed. It is quite painful. Please continue your diabetic and hypertension medicines as before. I hope you are taking those regularly and the sugars are controlled. For a few days avoid applying oil in hairs. Once she gets better, she can put oil over scalp.

Do revert back if there is any worsening. Please wait for 3 days for the antibiotics and medicines to act. Please let us know promptly if there is any fever or some other form of worsening. Happy to help you.

| 

Thank you very much for your immediate response. She is allergic to Penicillin. Will this suit her? She has taken Levofloxacin earlier. Can she take that? We will follow all your advice.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Do not give Augmentin if she is allergic to Penicillin. Give her Zifi CV (Cifixime and Clavulanate) 200 mg twice daily for five days (after food). Rest of the drugs you can continue like I have prescribed before.

| 
Respected doctor,
I thank you very much for your kind mail in detail for treatment of the boils in my wife's ear.she has followed your advice and taken all the medicines and applied ointment and taken proper care.
Now she has got full relief.my daughter some pus which oozed out and my wife feels alright
Thanking you for kind advice and timely help
Yours sincerely
Ramanarayanan

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
# welcome sir

Make sure that water does not go inside her ears..And take diabetes medicines properly

If anything is there you can revert back:)

|