Q. My 16 year old son is behaving aggressively and attempted suicide. How to control his mind?

Dr.
Published on Oct 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2019

A known 16-year-old son misbehaves with others, not staying at home, does not care about his family, passes the time with his bad company, behaving rudely to parents, and not studying properly. Parents have no control over him, and he does not care when they request him to focus on studies. He does not ask what we say. All these happen within two years of time when he joins with a new circle of friends. Last time he tried committing suicide, writing a statement against his parents as a reason for his death. After his suicide attempt, he is forcing his parents to give him expensive things. Nobody can speak even a single word against him, as it is right or wrong. Otherwise, he will take the next step to attempt suicide. He is not under the control of anybody. We think he needs treatment to stabilize his mind.

#

I can certainly understand your concern. I have worked through your attached query in detail.

As per the description, the possibility of a conduct disorder or a borderline personality disorder should be considered here in your child.

In view of suicidal threatening, it is advisable to consider mood stabilizer drugs at the earliest.

Detailed mental status evaluation is required in a head to head interview with your child.

It is advisable to consider the expert guidance of a child psychiatrist.

An inpatient requirement is also high. I hope this helps.

Is there a definitive way to know if I have a borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder?

Query: Hello doctor,Is there a definitive way to know if I have a borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder? Two years ago, I was diagnosed with BPD, but I met with a psychiatrist who says I do not sound at all like I have BPD, but I instead sound bipolar. Is there a way to test which it is? Or i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are reporting a commonly encountered situation since BPD, and bipolar disorder can present with similar symptoms. Sometimes both the conditions can be present together as well. There is no specific test or scan or investigation to distinguish these two conditions...  Read Full

How to stop my daughter's habit of stealing?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has just turned seven. She has a strange habit of stealing. She steals at school, grocery stores and home. She is not allowed to go to friend's house because I am afraid she will steal there too. She steals stupid things like candy bars, gum, erasers, pencils and lip gloss. Sh...  Read Full >>

Dr. K V Anand

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not worry. Many children at your daughter's age bracket steals. For those children they do not know that the act is called stealing and it should not be done or it is socially embarrassing, etc. For them they are taking something which they liked, of course, wi...  Read Full

What are the side effects of taking Adderall for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 29 year old boyfriend, who weighs 190 lbs and 6 feet tall, he is a former athlete in college. He was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia through the spinal tab, five years ago. He is now taking Adderall 60 mg a day total, spread over six times, and is using Flumazenil cream, wh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Idiopathic hypersomnia is a sleep disorder even less common than narcolepsy, a rare sleep disease. The biggest distinguishing characteristics include differences in REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, the absence of cataplexy (a sudden weakness in the muscles while fully co...  Read Full