Q. My 16 year old son is behaving aggressively and attempted suicide. How to control his mind?

Dr.
Published on Oct 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2019

A known 16-year-old son misbehaves with others, not staying at home, does not care about his family, passes the time with his bad company, behaving rudely to parents, and not studying properly. Parents have no control over him, and he does not care when they request him to focus on studies. He does not ask what we say. All these happen within two years of time when he joins with a new circle of friends. Last time he tried committing suicide, writing a statement against his parents as a reason for his death. After his suicide attempt, he is forcing his parents to give him expensive things. Nobody can speak even a single word against him, as it is right or wrong. Otherwise, he will take the next step to attempt suicide. He is not under the control of anybody. We think he needs treatment to stabilize his mind.

#

I can certainly understand your concern. I have worked through your attached query in detail.

As per the description, the possibility of a conduct disorder or a borderline personality disorder should be considered here in your child.

In view of suicidal threatening, it is advisable to consider mood stabilizer drugs at the earliest.

Detailed mental status evaluation is required in a head to head interview with your child.

It is advisable to consider the expert guidance of a child psychiatrist.

An inpatient requirement is also high. I hope this helps.

| 

Does uncontrolled anger mean bipolar or borderline personality disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I always get angered at my mom and I always yell at her. I have also found some symptoms which indicate that I have either bipolar or borderline personality disorder and I cannot control my anger usually. No matter how much I try to stop, I always end up yelling and screaming like a mani...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of taking Adderall for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 29 year old boyfriend, who weighs 190 lbs and 6 feet tall, he is a former athlete in college. He was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia through the spinal tab, five years ago. He is now taking Adderall 60 mg a day total, spread over six times, and is using Flumazenil cream, wh...  Read Full »

How to stop my daughter's habit of stealing?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has just turned seven. She has a strange habit of stealing. She steals at school, grocery stores and home. She is not allowed to go to friend's house because I am afraid she will steal there too. She steals stupid things like candy bars, gum, erasers, pencils and lip gloss. Sh...  Read Full »