Q. Is injectable Botox safe for a patient with Sjogren's syndrome?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 28, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from Sjogren's syndrome. I have a few questions about safety of cosmetic procedures. Is botox injectable safe? Is ultherapy or laser safe for a patient with Sjogren's? Kindly advice.

#

• Laser is completely safe.
  • Safety of Botox depends on indication. Botox (Botulinum Toxin) is also given in other medical conditions.
  • Please let me know the reason for laser and Botox treatment. The elaborate history will help me to give you better advice.

Revert back with detailed information to a dermatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I would like to use laser for red facial veins and Botox for headache. I had lost weight recently and so for sagging I would like to get ultherapy. I wish to make sure that it will not cause any negative immune reaction.

#

• Laser especially pulsed dye laser or other vascular laser is absolutely safe to use because these all are non-ablative.
  • Same thing happens with ultherapy. It works by collagen remodulation and is also locally acting.
  • I would not advice to go with Botox. Because, both share a common side effect profile and can exacerbate your condition. But, last decision depends on clinical and laboratory parameters and is on the discretion of treating clinician, dose and sittings required.
  • So, according to me it should not be used as first line and should be reserved only for resistant and refractory cases.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|