Q. Kindly suggest further line of treatment for my father's urine infection.

Answered by
Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

Hi doctor,

My father has a urine infection since last 15 days. His creatinine is 4.8. The ultrasound report showed enlarged prostate and intact kidney size. He lost appetite since last one month. He is only taking a half glass of milk daily only. His fasting sugar was 113. He is a diabetes patient and taking Insulin 5 units during the day and night. Now, this has been stopped by his doctor due to low intact. Kindly suggest a further line of treatment.



Welcome to

Please relax and do not worry.

  • Is your father on catheter? For how long creatinine is 4.8? Was it normal before a few days?
  • Raise in creatinine can be because of two things. Either diabetes is causing kidney damage or prostate obstruction causing back pressure on the kidneys.
  • If you have ultrasound report, then please upload it.
  • At present, I suggest that he should be catheterized and wait for infection to resolve. Also, creatinine will settle down.
  • Once he becomes stable, further management can be planned accordingly. Also, he should be given antibiotics, according to urine culture and sensitivity.
  • My plan is the following. Please discuss with your father's treating doctor.
  1. To catheterize him.
  2. Send urine for culture and sensitivity.
  3. Wait for infection to resolve and creatinine to settle.
  4. Need consultation from nephrologist and urologist both.
  • As his infection will go and creatinine will settle, he will improve and his appetite will be back.

For further information consult a urologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

My father is not in the catheter. He had a pacemaker implant before five months and at that time his creatinine was 1.8. Also, sugar was not beyond control. What type of diet should we give now?



Welcome back to

  • I think his creatinine raises because of infection and prostatic obstruction. He requires a urethral Foley catheter, which will bypass prostate obstruction and helps in draining infected urine.
  • He requires antibiotics, according to urine culture and sensitivity.
  • You should give him renal diet and avoid non-vegetarian foods, fruit juices and coconut water.

For further information consult a urologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Kindly suggest further line of treatment for my father's urine infection.

Hi doctor, My father has a urine infection since last 15 days ... Also, he should be given antibiotics, according to urine culture and sensitivity ...   Read full

Creatinine level 2.7 with controlled BP. Kindly advise the food to be taken.

.. should get regular follow-ups with her doctor (nephrologist, cardiologist or even internal medicine specialist). Foods to avoid are salt, dark-colored colas, canned foods, orange, and orange juice, red rice, etc. Foods to eat are water the best yo...   Read full

Creatinine level is 5.7 with small kidneys. Is it possible to get normal kidney function?

Hello doctor, My aunt's creatinine level is 57 and her kidney size of 8*34 cm (right and left) ... Looking forward to know if it can be brought to normal kidney functioning ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.