Q. Kindly suggest further line of treatment for my father's urine infection.

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

My father has a urine infection since last 15 days. His creatinine is 4.8. The ultrasound report showed enlarged prostate and intact kidney size. He lost appetite since last one month. He is only taking a half glass of milk daily only. His fasting sugar was 113. He is a diabetes patient and taking Insulin 5 units during the day and night. Now, this has been stopped by his doctor due to low intact. Kindly suggest a further line of treatment.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Please relax and do not worry.

• Is your father on catheter? For how long creatinine is 4.8? Was it normal before a few days?
  • Raise in creatinine can be because of two things. Either diabetes is causing kidney damage or prostate obstruction causing back pressure on the kidneys.
  • If you have ultrasound report, then please upload it.
  • At present, I suggest that he should be catheterized and wait for infection to resolve. Also, creatinine will settle down.
  • Once he becomes stable, further management can be planned accordingly. Also, he should be given antibiotics, according to urine culture and sensitivity.
  • My plan is the following. Please discuss with your father's treating doctor.
  1. To catheterize him.
  2. Send urine for culture and sensitivity.
  3. Wait for infection to resolve and creatinine to settle.
  4. Need consultation from nephrologist and urologist both.
  • As his infection will go and creatinine will settle, he will improve and his appetite will be back.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

My father is not in the catheter. He had a pacemaker implant before five months and at that time his creatinine was 1.8. Also, sugar was not beyond control. What type of diet should we give now?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

• I think his creatinine raises because of infection and prostatic obstruction. He requires a urethral Foley catheter, which will bypass prostate obstruction and helps in draining infected urine.
  • He requires antibiotics, according to urine culture and sensitivity.
  • You should give him renal diet and avoid non-vegetarian foods, fruit juices and coconut water.

|