Q. Kindly explain the ultrasound report taken for frequent urination.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

I am checking on for my dad's health condition. He has been urinating every once in a while. If I can give you a ratio of how many time he urinates in an hour, is usually twice which is not normal. On consulting a nephrologist, we were advised for an ultrasound scan. I have the report and I need to know more on this current condition.

#

I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your father is having obstruction to drainage of the urinary bladder, leading to very high bladder pressure which has damaged the ureter and kidney. The reason for this is not apparent on USG and needs further evaluation. At present, he requires urgent drainage of the bladder with a urinary catheter. I would like to know if your father is a diabetic and whether any blood tests to assess his renal function has been done?

For more information consult an urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

No, he is not a diabetic. I have attached the blood report. Based on this type of condition, if in case he needs a Foley catheter, how long must he have it with him? Since he is clearing his urinary system on a way faster rate, how will draining it with a catheter help him? And he recently complained of having a back pain and also slight swelling on his left leg.

#

The distended bladder with a residual urine of nearly one liter shows he is not draining the bladder by himself. Catheter insertion is mandatory in his condition. Usually, it takes at least a month for the bladder to recover some function because it has been over distended for a long time. So, he will have to be on a catheter for a month. After this, we can assess his bladder function by a urodynamics test.

Please find the attachment.

#

His renal function has been compromised. I would suggest you visit your local urologist at the earliest for catheter insertion and further treatment.

Thank you for your valuable response.

#

You are welcome.

|