Q. Am I having brain fog, confusion, and forgetfulness due to alcohol drinking?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar
Published on Aug 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I have been suffering from severe brain fog, confusion, and forgetfulness for the last two months. Almost to the point where I thought I might have had a stroke, Alzheimer's, or liver failure. I now believe that it may be down to the fact that I drink about 10 pints of beer once per week, as the symptoms only came when I started drinking two months ago. I have brain fog from when I was 20 years old, probably due to recreational drugs like cocaine and marijuana. I have stopped doing drugs from the past 11 years. Do you think this could be the issue or is it possibly something else? If it is the alcohol which has caused a vitamin deficiency, do you recommend taking any vitamins and minerals will help? And if so, what should I take?

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

#

• It will not be appropriate to tell you without proper examination what exactly you might have. But yes, frequent alcohol drinkers may suffer from vitamin deficiencies (B1, B12, B6), which leads to neurological manifestation and serious consequences in the long term.
  • Most of the time, not only vitamins but other supportive therapy under a constant supervision of a specialist is also needed, as it is the brain which is affected.
  • I recommend you to consult a neurologist for further workup and management and confirmation of your diagnosis. It is better not to self-diagnose and self-medicate, as that can steal some precious golden period when the condition can be reversed.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Does vitamin deficiency cause twitching and tingling?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness. I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a his...  Read Full »

How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?

Query: Hello doctor,My husband takes too much alcohol daily. I want him to stop alcohol forever. About one week before, we have done a health checkup. His SGPT level has increased by 108. What should I do now?  Read Full »