Q. At what age can surgery be done for a branchial cyst?

Dr. Arvind Guru
Published on May 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 20 months old son is diagnosed with a branchial cyst in the anterior aspect of his neck, at the right paramedian location at the level of the thyroid gland. It is anterior to the strap muscle with cranial extension up to the right submandibular gland. Is the only option surgery? If yes, is it life-threatening? Can the surgery be done at this age? I am attaching his ultrasound report.

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology
#

I have reviewed your information and the ultrasonography report provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The only treatment for this condition is surgery.
  • Any surgery that is done under general anesthesia does have a very small risk of things going wrong. This risk is increased if this condition is associated with other defects like heart defects. But generally, it is safe.

I hope that helps.

For further queries consult a paediatric surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatric-surgeon

| 

Thank you for your suggestions. Could you please suggest a good pediatric surgeon? And also, please let me know, at what age the surgery should be done?

Dr. Arvind Guru

#

I am glad that you found that information useful.

• Regarding the age, the minimum age recommended is around three months. So, 20 months would be a good time to do the surgery.
  • Regarding the hospital, I think you should try finding a good local doctor. There are many good hospitals there.
  • When you go to a pediatric surgeon there, discuss the option of endoscopic-assisted removal, this leads to less scar formation but it is not possible in all cases.

I hope that helps. Best of luck for you son's surgery.

For more information consult a paediatric surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatric-surgeon

| 

Is biopsy necessary for neck swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a swelling developed on my neck overnight 10 days ago. I went to a doctor who did an ultrasound and took thyroid function blood tests. He said it as a 3 x 3 cm cyst with 1 x 1 cm tumor or nodule with some calcification. He took some of the cyst liquid and sent away for tests, but...  Read Full »

Why is there a swollen lump present on my left side of the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small swollen lump on the left side of my neck. I do not feel sick. But I feel like I have a fever and headache. My teeth look fine, and I do not have sensitivity. Can I have an infection in my teeth?  Read Full »

I am 18 years old. Why do I have high blood pressure?

Query: Hello doctor,My blood pressure is 150/90 mmHg and my age is 18 years and there is a pain in the neck and at the top of the head. Please help me. Currently, I am taking Arbitel 250.  Read Full »

Ask a Paediatric Surgeon Now