Q. Can you please suggest the treatment options for my mother diagnosed with breast cancer?

Dr. Pawar Satyajit Jalinder
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 05, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 11, 2021

My mother is diagnosed with breast cancer, and there is pain in her left breast, waist, and back. Can you please tell me the treatment options available?

#

I have gone through your query and the reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) you have provided. I can understand that this would be a difficult time for your family, and it is natural to get a second opinion.

Based on reports, it looks like your mother has advanced breast cancer as it has spread beyond the breast to other organs like bone and liver. It is called stage 4 cancer. Sadly, this cancer stage is not entirely curable, but we have many good treatment options that can reduce her symptoms and prolong her life.

The treatment for this stage is mainly chemotherapy or targeted treatment. Surgery or radiation therapy is not a primary treatment for this stage. It depends on the type of breast cancer.

It is decided on a hormone status report from a biopsy called ER-PR (estrogen receptor-progesterone receptor) and HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2). It can also tell about the aggressiveness of cancer.

If you have done these tests, you can attach them so that I will be able to tell you the available options in detail.

If you have any other questions, you can always revert.

|