Q. My mother observed a lump in her right breast. What is the cause?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar
Published on Jul 29, 2018

My mother observed a lump in her right breast before two months ago. The doctor advised for full abdomen USG, mammography, and FNAC. The results showed duct cell carcinoma (NST) with a lesion measuring 12 x 15 mm. Surgical Oncologist has advised for surgical removal of a tumor (BCS surgery) followed by radiation and chemotherapy. He suggested, my mother, to undergo four to eight sessions of chemotherapy, depending upon the biopsy report of the tumor. I wish to seek a second opinion depending upon the requirement of chemotherapy and radiation therapies and also want to know the possible side effects.

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

The current treatment for the early breast cancer is breast conservation surgery and sentinel lymph node (axillary node) sampling.

1. Please find out what modality is being planned to address the axilla as not all patients need axillary clearance.
  2. After breast conservation surgery, radiotherapy is a standard treatment done over three weeks to reduce the risk of future recurrence.
  3. Post-operative histology will dictate if your mother needs chemotherapy or not guided by the grade, size, margins, and the lymph node status.

There are oncotype testing to personalize the treatment which gives the magnitude of benefit for a particular individual. Radiotherapy is mainly given to reduce the risk of local recurrence. Side effects of radiation are skin reactions in the short term and hardening of the breast in the long term. Chemotherapy, not sure whether your mother needs chemotherapy. If the nodes are negative with strong ER (estrogen receptors) in positive status, we could avoid chemotherapy altogether.

For more information consult a radiation oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiation-oncologist

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

Is there any way to prevent eye damage during radiotherapy for nose cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I have nose cancer, so I am going to get radiotherapy. The doctor said that the radiation might touch the eye, which may lead to loss of vision and eye removal. Is there any other way to prevent this? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn
Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not given enough details, but from what I understand, you need to be given radiation to your nose. With conventional radiation, it is very difficult to save the eye, but we can try computerized radiation like IMRT (intensity-modulated radiation therapy) or VMAT (...  Read Full

For breast cancer, should we do chemo first or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and had a right mastectomy. She however did not have chemo or radiation. She has a little extra fat to the lateral area of the breast that after surgery it looked like a small third breast. Right over the old incision has de...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Here are my suggestions: Assuming that you want to undergo full treatment, the best method would be to start chemo and radiotherapy. The cycles of chemotherapy will depend on the medicine chosen by your oncologist. This will reduce the tumor size. Then go ahead with th...  Read Full

Ask a Radiation Oncologist Now