Q. I have a sharp stabbing pain inside my breast. My mom has breast cancer. Do I have cancer?

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

Hello doctor,

  • I am an 18 year old female.
  • A few days ago I noticed that my left breast was very tender.
  • Yesterday morning I started feeling sharp stabbing pain inside my breast near the nipple every hour or so.
  • Yesterday night I started to feel the pain 10 times worse and more frequently.
  • I also noticed that my nipple started to turn red.
  • The pain goes away and then comes back.
  • I would like to add in that my mother was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma about 5 months ago in her left breast and she has had it removed and has now started chemotherapy.
  • This obviously makes me more worried about my symptoms.

Please advice.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Invasive ductal carcinoma at 18 years of age is unlikely even though you have a history in family recently. The pain in the left nipple area which had a sudden onset in last few days and have been decreasing with a localised redness around nipple goes more in favour of an abscess rather a carcinoma. As there has been no blood discharge from the nipple which is classical in cancer, it would be too early to comment.

But it is suggested that an ultrasound breast may be undertaken to look for an organised lump if present and if required an FNAC may be done to sample the local tissue and send for histopathological examination. This is unlikely to be a premenstrual syndrome (PMS) as it should be bilateral in that case. Consult your physician for a local examination.

Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Had removal of myoepithelial carcinoma before three years. Can I have a recurrence of it?

Hi doctor, I had an extraction of two tumors of epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma with a prominent dedifferentiated (high-grade transformation) myoepithelial component extracted from my nasal cavity before three years ...   Read full

I am a 26 year old male. My chest is developing into breast and it looks very weird on me.

i miss my period last 10 days but my hpt test is negative, i have stomach pain like period pain, my breast is tender, next what i do   Read full

I have a sharp stabbing pain inside my breast.My mom has breast cancer.Do I have cancer?

i miss my period last 10 days but my hpt test is negative, i have stomach pain like period pain, my breast is tender, next what i do   Read full

Related Video

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What can be the reason for cramps during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I received a couple of faint positive pregnancy tests two weeks ago. Then, I went to my primary physician for another urine test, which came out as negative. Later, I felt some cramping on and off all day on my left side. The cramps were similar to premenstrual cramps along with sore nipp...  Read Full »

I had sex during fertile period and missed period. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been on Ava 20 (hormonal contraceptive pill) for about three years. I recently just stopped taking it. I had sex about 3 to 4 time in my fertile period. I have missed my period by a few days. So, I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. I have been having a few symptom...  Read Full »

Please advise on nasopharyngeal carcinoma in a 17 year old male.

Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding nasopharyngeal carcinoma non-keratinizing. The patient is a male 17 years. His symptoms are epistaxis, lump on the right side of the neck, and weight loss. Blood tests, CT scan, FNAC cervical lymph node right side of the neck, EBV testing, and biopsy of nasophar...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.