Q. I have a sharp stabbing pain inside my breast. My mom has breast cancer. Do I have cancer?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

• I am an 18 year old female.
  • A few days ago I noticed that my left breast was very tender.
  • Yesterday morning I started feeling sharp stabbing pain inside my breast near the nipple every hour or so.
  • Yesterday night I started to feel the pain 10 times worse and more frequently.
  • I also noticed that my nipple started to turn red.
  • The pain goes away and then comes back.
  • I would like to add in that my mother was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma about 5 months ago in her left breast and she has had it removed and has now started chemotherapy.
  • This obviously makes me more worried about my symptoms.

Please advice.

#

Invasive ductal carcinoma at 18 years of age is unlikely even though you have a history in family recently. The pain in the left nipple area which had a sudden onset in last few days and have been decreasing with a localised redness around nipple goes more in favour of an abscess rather a carcinoma. As there has been no blood discharge from the nipple which is classical in cancer, it would be too early to comment.

But it is suggested that an ultrasound breast may be undertaken to look for an organised lump if present and if required an FNAC may be done to sample the local tissue and send for histopathological examination. This is unlikely to be a premenstrual syndrome (PMS) as it should be bilateral in that case. Consult your physician for a local examination.

Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|