Q. Is hormone therapy better than chemotherapy for breast cancer below 50 years of age?

Dr. Pratik Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 24, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2021

What is the treatment for breast cancer?

#

Four cycles of AC chemotherapy (A is Doxorubicin Hydrochloride (Adriamycin), and C is Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)) is done two times per week, followed by four cycles of taxol chemotherapy two times per week. After chemotherapy, hormonal therapy is done for five years (just one tablet) along with estrogen suppressing therapy. You can also go for a test called OncotypeDX to see how much benefit you will have by giving chemotherapy. Send me if you have any imaging reports like CT (computed tomography) scans or ultrasound.

We are waiting for the prosigna test results as we have an appointment with the oncologist on this 20th. Just wondering what will be the side effect of chemotherapy, and what are the chances of recurring? Can I possibly skip chemotherapy and start with hormonal therapy with lifestyle modifications?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

Prosigna and oncotype DX are the same. This will give us the percentage of benefits she will have on receiving chemotherapy. Chemotherapy is indicated for females below the age of 50, and the chance of recurrence is 20-25% for these females. Because she is 36 years, she is very young, and the benefits of chemotherapy should be given. Side effects are nausea, vomiting, hair loss, and fatigue. Modern medicine controls side effects very well. Also, young females handle chemotherapy very well in my practice. Only 2-3% of females experience moderate to severe side effects. I am sure she will take chemo in the blink of an eye.

|