Q. Can one use breast pump simultaneously with breastfeed?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2021

Can one pump and breastfeed simultaneously? Why or why not? Please provide the explanation or suggestion on how this can be done. Thank you.

#

In case you have nipple problem in one or both the breast, there is no harm in using the breast pump.

Even if the mother has an excess of breast milk which is causing discomfort, then breast pump plays an important role.

If the mother feels like storing the milk because of unavoidable circumstances, then using the breast pump milk can be stored for not more than 2 to 4 hours.

Nowadays, there is electric pump available. It is less painful and does not require manual efforts.

So, it is safe, and there are no side effects in using a breast pump and feeding simultaneously.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|