Q. Why is my baby's poop dark green?

Dr. Simy Mathew
Published on May 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 13, 2019

My baby is three and a half months now. Since he completed three months, he is more on formula milk than breastfeeding due to supply issues. He poops every alternate day. I am concerned as his poop color is dark green and at the end of the process a slight yellow poop comes. I have learned that babies on formula milk poop green but it is dark green. That is the reason I am concerned. Please suggest. Also, I would like to add that the consistency is normal, not too hard or too watery.

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrics
#

The color of the poop does not matter much unless it is dark black, which is a possible sign of occult blood. Usually poops in babies on formula feed is dark green. A breastfed baby will have golden yellow poop. So, do not be worried at all.

I also suggest you take some medicines to increase your milk supply as every mother gets milk at least until the baby is six months old. You can try supplements like Lactare or Lactonic granules in milk. If this does not work, I suggest trying Domstal (Domperidone) tablet and it will surely increase milk supply.

I hope you use a breast pump too at home. The more you pump and stimulate your breast, the more milk you will get.

Hope this answers your queries.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

How to treat loose motions in a 12 days old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My 12 days old baby boy has more frequent loose motions of up to 15 to 20 times a day. I am afraid of this. What is the treatment for this?  Read Full »

My 3.6 year old daughter has stomach pain and loose stools. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 3.6 years old daughter, who weighs 10.5 kg. She is very thin and not a foodie. She is hyperactive when she is well. Sometimes, she complains of pain in the abdomen. It is going on from 1 to 2 months. The doctor advised getting an ultrasonography. She has been complaining o...  Read Full »

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article