Q. Can reduced feeding help cure 'pain while passing motions' in an infant?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

My daughter is one month old. Her birth weight was 3.6 kg. After 15 days, she weighed 3.8 and then later she weighed 4.2 kg. Now, her current weight is 4.35 kg. She seems to pass drop by drop motion of about 15 to 20 times a day and she has some sharp pain followed by some intermittent pain while passing motions. We did a motion test today morning and I have attached the lab report. Is it something that has to be worried or is it normal? What can be done to cure her pain while passing the motion?

We started giving syrup Ascazin 1 mL in the morning and in the night as per the recommendation of the doctor. Also, we reduced feed from 10 to 12 times a day to 7 to 8 times a day. Will this cure her pain or do we need to give any additional medications to her? Please advice. We are giving Ascazin syrup for the past one week. We are only breastfeeding from the beginning. There is no external milk. Please opine.

#

I have gone through the lab reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You need not worry. This is common in children of this age group.

You need not reduce the amount of feeding nor you have to start any other medication. The report is also fine

You just need to keep breastfeeding the baby.

Avoid any external or formula milk. You can continue the same medication what you are giving.

If the problem persists, just stop breast milk for a day and start a lactose-free supplement such as Zerolac or Nusobee. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the above medicines.

Breastfeeding can be started once motions are normal.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|