Q. Is it fine to breastfeed baby three hours after smoking?

Dr. Galen Harnden
Published on Feb 13, 2019

I am a breast-feeding woman. I used to be a smoker before I got pregnant. I am really stressed out. If I have one and wait three hours before feeding, will it be fine?

Dr. Galen Harnden

Paediatrics
#

I would recommend trying to quit entirely. Cigarette exposure in infants increases the risk for several problems, including asthma, SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), eczema, and many more. There are several options to help quit, including nicotine patches, gum, and even some medications. I would speak to your doctor about quitting. If you must smoke, try doing it before breastfeeding. It takes 90 minutes for half of the nicotine in your body to be eliminated, so it is very difficult to eliminate it entirely. Additionally, never smoke around your baby, always do it outside, wash your hands and change your clothes before returning to your baby. A good rule of thumb is that if you can smell the smoke, your baby is being exposed to it. That being said, the benefits of breastfeeding are immense and are generally thought to outweigh the risk of minor nicotine exposure in breast milk. So in summary, try to quit if you can, but if you cannot, take the above steps to minimize your baby's exposure. Please let me know if you have any more questions and have a nice day.

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

Why is 2 months old baby having decreased urine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having two months old baby. Since two days I am observing that his diapers are not wet and heavy as they used to be. So I checked his urine output by laying him down without a diaper for five hours and fed him twice with two and a half hours gap between each feed. He peed thrice aft...  Read Full »

Why are WBC and neutrophils chronically high even if no infection is present?

Query: Hello doctor,Chronically high WBC 15 and neutrophils above 10 recent CRP 8.8. No infection can be found but was treated with two rounds of antibiotics Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin. Repeated CBC and numbers were higher. My doctor said maybe this was going to be my normal. Is this possible? Since th...  Read Full »