What could be the reason for newborn avoiding breasts while feeding?

Q. My baby is avoiding breast while breast feeding. How to feed her?

Dr. Sumeet Sharma
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2023

My 3 months baby is avoiding breast while feeding. Is there any other option to make her drink breast milk without direct feeding?

#

You can express breast milk (either manually or by using a breast pump) and give that milk to the baby using a spoon. But the reason for avoiding breastfeeding needs to be evaluated. Nose block is a common cause for refusal to feed. If the child is having a nose block, you can use Nasoclear drops two drops prior to each feed.

You have mentioned the baby's current weight as 6 lbs, for a three months old baby 6 lbs fall much below the normal range. Was the child preterm? How much was the birth weight?

Actually that is not the baby's weight now. She was born normal with 6.61 lbs. Now I do not know her weight due to this Corona situation. Is there any option to know the baby's weight?

#

You can check the weight at home using a normal weighing scale. Check your weight first, then recheck the weight while carrying the baby, the difference between the two values will be the baby's appropriate weight.

|