Q. What could be the cause for reduction in milk secretion in a healthy mom?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

I gave birth to my child before four weeks. I am providing breastfeeding to my child from her birth. My breastfeeding was fine before three days. But now, my milk supply has got dropped. My baby seems to have a loss of weight, and she is not peeing often. Yesterday, she pooped a light green colored poop. She is not sucking as long as she was before. But she sleeps up to two to three hours. I am well hydrated, eating well and resting well. I am not taking medication. What is the cause of having a reduction in milk production in me? I am worried. Please help.

#

Start giving top feeds to the child for some time and take some days off from breastfeeding. Weight loss and a reduced urine output of the child is because of low milk intake. Low milk production may occur due to many reasons, the most common one being stress. So take rest for some time and start giving top feeds to the baby. It will provide benefits to both of you.

|