Q. What to do to increase mother feeding milk?

Dr. Gowrimeena
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2013 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

What to do to increase breast milk?

#

First of all, we have to objectively find out whether breast milk is really less than what is required for the baby as I find this to be uncommon.

If the baby is active, wetting nappy at least four to six times in a day and gaining weight adequately, these are the indications of adequate breastfeeding. If this is not the case, then we can do the following.

Taking a balanced diet including fresh fruits, vegetables and plenty of fluids will help your body produce enough milk. You do not have to actually drink milk to produce milk.

Spending more time with your baby will help to bond and make it easy for your body to be in tune with the process of breastmilk production and feeding as well.

Demand feeding, that is, feeding as and when the baby feels hungry is a universally accepted method of feeding. This is much better than regimental, that is, scheduled feeding.

There are some herbal preparations in the form of tablets or powder which can be taken after consulting your doctor.

In spite of all this, if the milk secretion is not sufficient, there are certain medications which we can prescribe for you.

If still there is a problem, we have to explore alternate ways of feeding the baby.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|