Q. Is a 600 cc breast implant the same as 500 cc implant filled to 600 cc?

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

Is a 600 cc breast implant the same as a 500 cc implant filled to 600 cc? Is a 500 cc implant filled to 600 cc considered extremely large with more chance of rupture? Is going from A cup to C cup (350 cc) then going from C cup to possible D cup (500 cc filled to 600 cc) that big of a difference?

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

Cosmetology General Surgery Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic
#

I can understand your confusions. Let me tell you one thing. The implants are usually measured by three things, the volume, the base diameter and the height (profile). So the implants chosen will be on the basis of all the three criteria. An implant of 500 cc will have the capacity to be filled almost up to twice its volume (1000 cc) without being ruptured. It depends upon the surgeon that what volume will be good in your case. Again the material and shape of the implant determine the distribution of the additional fill. That all will be pre-decided by your surgeon. Going from A to C and then to D is not that much of a difference provided you do have that much skin to accommodate. If not, then the doctor might suggest a few months interval in between for the skin to stretch.

For more information consult a plastic surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/plastic-surgeon

| 

I am having my current implants for past seven years and have now decided to go up a bit. Due to the fact that I have been stretched for several years, do you think I should be fine to accommodate a larger implant? Additionally, do I have to worry about bottoming out if they are placed behind my muscle? My surgeon uses Mentor brand implants and I believe he mentioned it will be a 500 cc implant filled to 600 cc. I was just worried about possible rupture.

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

#

Definitely, if it is so long that you have gone with the previous implants, then you can go higher. The skin should accommodate. While the placing is considered, submuscular usually has the chances of bottoming out, so we rather go for dual planes. But again, the doctor who has examined you and knows the status of the tissue at present can guide you better. Mentor is a good brand. And implant from any brand have the capacity to be filled more than its volume. It is not gonna rupture at 600 cc. Do not worry.

| 

Does getting new (slightly larger) implants cause a greater concern for mammography error (not seeing cancer) due to the implant being larger or is the concern the same regardless of the size of implant?

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

#

There are no increased chances. The error for abnormality detection in a mammogram is purely due to the artifacts caused by the implant sheath and the fibrosis surrounding it. It is nowhere related to the content, viscosity or the volume of the substance present inside the implant. So the larger implant has the same chances of causing the errors as is the smaller one.

| 

I recently had an upper eyelid blepharoplasty. All seems to be healing well, but my one eye (below it on my upper cheek) seems to have staining (looks black and blue but not obvious). How do I resolve that quickly?

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

#

Thank you for sharing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). That definitely looks like a bruise. Usually in upper blepharoplasty, we do not go beyond the lateral canthal region and there will not be any collection in the lower eyelid region. It is better if you can get back to the surgeon who operated to get to know if anything has gone wrong. As for resolving it, I think it should come down on itself by day 14 to 18. You can use some ice compressions and anti-edema medicines to hasten the recovery.

|