Q. I am planing to go for liposuction for weight loss. My weight is 78 kg.

Dr. Amar Vennapusa
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Sneha Kannan
Published on Feb 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 13, 2019

I am planning to go for liposuction to lose weight. My weight is 78 kg and height is 5'3". Kindly suggest.

Dr. Amar Vennapusa

Bariatric Surgery Metabolic Surgery
#

Your calculated body mass index (BMI) is 30.4 kg/m2. Generally we perform bariatric surgery to achieve permanent weight loss for any patient whose BMI is 30 kg/m2 or above. Liposuction is not a treatment option for weight loss. It is a cosmetic procedure for body shaping. There is a set point for fat storage for everyone. This is not altered by liposuction.

Weight loss by liposuction, diet control, exercise, naturopathy, amway, herbalife, etc., is temporary, as all these methods do not have any effect on set point for fat storage. So, any fat that is removed in liposuction will reaccumulate over a period of 6 months to two years.

Those who can reduce weight by diet control and exercise does not need liposuction and those who cannot reduce weight by above methods will not reduce even after liposuction. Bariatric surgery provides permanent weight loss as it lowers set point for fat storage. If you are looking for permanent weight loss then bariatric surgery is the only scientifically proven method for that.

Why am I always hungry and thirsty?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full »

I am facing mild jaundice and loose motions after bariatric surgery. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am 47 years old, female. I have undergone bariatric surgery five months ago. Now, I am suffering from mild jaundice (total bilirubin 1.5 mg/dl) and mild typhoid too. I have been facing non stop loose motion since last two weeks. I have seen the doctor. They have prescribed me the followi...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full »

Ask a General Surgeon Now