Q. I am planing to go for liposuction for weight loss. My weight is 78 kg.

Dr. Amar Vennapusa
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 13, 2019

I am planning to go for liposuction to lose weight. My weight is 78 kg and height is 5'3". Kindly suggest.

#

Your calculated body mass index (BMI) is 30.4 kg/m2. Generally we perform bariatric surgery to achieve permanent weight loss for any patient whose BMI is 30 kg/m2 or above. Liposuction is not a treatment option for weight loss. It is a cosmetic procedure for body shaping. There is a set point for fat storage for everyone. This is not altered by liposuction.

Weight loss by liposuction, diet control, exercise, naturopathy, amway, herbalife, etc., is temporary, as all these methods do not have any effect on set point for fat storage. So, any fat that is removed in liposuction will reaccumulate over a period of 6 months to two years.

Those who can reduce weight by diet control and exercise does not need liposuction and those who cannot reduce weight by above methods will not reduce even after liposuction. Bariatric surgery provides permanent weight loss as it lowers set point for fat storage. If you are looking for permanent weight loss then bariatric surgery is the only scientifically proven method for that.

|