Q. Why did the doctor advise to stop breast milk and start Isomil formula for my baby?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 20, 2021

My baby is three months old. He had rashes and loose motion before a month. We did a stool test of pH and reducing substance. The result showed a positive result for reducing substance. The doctor advised me to stop giving mother's milk and start giving Isomil formula. My baby did not take formula milk and so I continued giving breastfeeding. After few days, we checked his weight and it was good. He was growing properly and active. He does not cry due to colic. He poops six to seven times a day. He passes urine frequently. His poop seems to be greenish. I am worried about it. Other than this, he sleeps well and passes gas well. Yesterday, we did a stool test again and he has a positive result for reducing substance. Is it good to give Isomil? How long will it last?

#

You have not stopped breastfeeding and so your baby's weight gain is good. A baby of three months passes stool after every feed. If you feed ten times, then he may pass stool ten times. Regarding the color of the stool, green, yellow, golden brown are the normal shades of stools. There is nothing to be worried about green-colored stools. If your baby is not having any problems or symptoms, then do not do any tests. Even in a normal person, there are few parameters that seem to be out of range.

We cannot keep seeing laboratory tests completely by forgetting the baby's condition. Have a routine check-up by consulting a pediatrician for having a vaccination. It is sufficient. Any changes in the mother's diet affect the composition of the breast milk to a small degree and it gets reflected in the child's routine. You can start taking milk with tea in small amounts initially and increase it gradually. You can have some changes in the baby's bowel movement but it does not mean that the baby is not healthy. Do not start giving cow's milk or pasteurized milk to the baby.

We are worried about lactose intolerance. My baby is active and we do not want to continue giving breastfeeding for more than six months. We do not want to give him formula milk. Our concern is about the laboratory results as he had a positive result for reducing substance. Will it affect my baby's health?

#

If your baby is healthy, active, gaining height and weight well, then he does not require any tests. If the overall development of the baby is normal, then the baby is unlikely to have problems. I suggest you follow the same in the future too. You can also take a second opinion by consulting your pediatrician.

Thanks for helping me.

#

Please mention whether your baby is taking any multivitamin or Calcium syrup. Please mention whether you are putting a diaper on the baby. Please send the photo of the poop while he pass stool. This is unusual for a breastfeed baby. Your baby needs to take a Zinc containing syrup. Please attach the results of the stool report.

I have attached the photos for your reference.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The stool appears normal. You have mentioned his weight as 6.35 kilograms. Normally, babies will have double the weight around four to six months. Steady weight gain is possible when the baby's feeding is normal and the baby's digestions are normal. Your baby appears to have double the weight and so his feed is good enough for him. As your baby is gaining weight normally, feeding normally, and sleeping well, then there is nothing to be worried about stool consistency and frequency. Please mention whether you are giving any syrup to the baby.

My baby is having weight gain. He was born with a weight of 3.35 kilograms and now after three months, he has a weight of 6.3 kilograms. He is active and sleeps well. I am giving him Calshine 0.5 ml once a day. While having loose motion before a month, we gave A and D syrup. He has a positive result for reducing substance and the doctor suggested to give Isomil for my baby and told me to stop giving breastfeeding for some time.

#

You need to stop giving Calshine (Cholecalciferol) for a week and see for any changes in the stool. If there are changes, then you can know the cause.

Again, he has a positive result for reducing substance. Previously, he had a greenish stool, and now, he has a watery motion. What to do?

#

There is nothing to be worried about the report as your baby is growing fine.

Do I need to observe for some more time? Is it normal to have watery stools?

#

Just stop giving Calshine for a week and it is enough. Normally, the baby passes stool six to eight times a day. It is acceptable if the feeding is good without any other symptoms.

Thank you very much for helping me.

#

You are welcome. Have a follow-up at any time.

My baby is fine. Yesterday, he passed two motions in the morning. He did not pass motion for the entire day. Today, he passed motion two times. It is watery and I am attaching the picture. I have stopped giving dairy products. Is it good to give green vegetables?

#

I have gone through the attached photo. It looks watery and the color is normal. It is normal to have stools two to four times a day. There is nothing to be worried. Kindly observe his urine flow whether he passes urine once in four hours with normal feeding and sleeping. If you have a weight scale, check your baby's weight once a week.

My baby is passing urine frequently, feeding well, sleeping well, and waking up with a smile. I do not have a weight machine. Is it good to stop giving green veggies? Why this happening in my baby? Is it due to heat? Can I stop giving eggs?

#

Give him sufficient water and give him eggs after two months.

Can I consume dairy products like curd, panner, and milk in tea?

#

Yes, you can consume dairy products.

We have stopped giving Calshine to my baby. Is it good to give Colic acid to my baby if there is a need?

#

Yes, you can give Colic acid sparingly.

My baby is having folds on the neck and the dirt present in the skin folds is getting cleared. Please go through the attached picture. Now I am applying oil and powder after bathing.

#

If you are sure that the neck area is not red previously, then it is fine. Keep applying oil and take a photo again after a week and send me.

How long will he have watery green stools? How to make it normal? Please suggest.

#

It is difficult to predict it. As long as the baby's feeding and weight gain are normal, then there is nothing to be worried.

|