Q. Why do most of the mothers prefer breast pump to extract milk?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Apr 13, 2019

Why more mothers are choosing to exclusively pump their breast milk? How does it work for them? Kindly explain.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Mostly breast pumps are used by mothers who need to prepare for the child in advance due to their business. Most of the working ladies are using breast pumps to empty the breast in advance and to have milk as per need. Breast pump helps to maintain breast production by emptying breast if used properly.

Emptying of breast even if the baby does not need at present but after some time helps to maintain milk production and also can be managed in hectic routine of working ladies. Some time sick babies are unable to suck, so in those timings, breast pump helps fully for mother to empty breast as engorged breast can give her symptoms as well.

Babies taken care by maids can be well fed by breast milk even in a tough working schedule of the mother with the help of a breast pump.

How can I increase my breast milk production?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a 1-month-old baby. I am giving breast milk and formula milk to my baby due to insufficient breast milk. However, my breast milk was not too low. I used to provide formula feed for one or two feeds. Before three days back, I was sick, and so I could not breastfeed my baby for...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breast milk secretion works on a demand-supply basis. The more you breastfeed, the more milk is produced. Here is what you can do to increase your breastmilk supply: Breastfeed or pump a lot. It creates more demand and thus increases the amount. Hot fomentation of t...  Read Full

For my 6 weeks old daughter, is it fine to add sugar to formula milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 6 weeks old. I am not able to breastfeed her properly due to pain in the breasts. I have expressed milk, but she is not taking that milk and even the formula milk. She wants direct breastfeed milk, and I tried adding some sugar in the formula milk, and she drank the milk. I als...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is advisable to use a bottle with a nipple for feeding. Also, you can add honey instead of sugar to milk. It will make it sweet. All formula feeds have more or less the same taste, so there is no use changing formulas. Please give your expressed milk with bottle feed...  Read Full

Which specialist would perform surgery of a galactocele?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife stopped breastfeeding our third child five months ago, after a lot of sucking difficulties and painful nipples. Because of that, her breasts plugged and did not empty properly. She has tried breast pump without any luck. She has now developed painful galactoceles on both her br...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A galactocele is a milk filled space inside the breast. Breast problems are common after childbirth in those women who had stopped breastfeeding or experienced sucking difficulties. Firstly, I hope you are sure that it is truly a galactocele and not any other ...  Read Full