Q. For my 6 weeks old daughter, is it fine to add sugar to formula milk?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Aug 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

My baby is 6 weeks old. I am not able to breastfeed her properly due to pain in the breasts. I have expressed milk, but she is not taking that milk and even the formula milk. She wants direct breastfeed milk, and I tried adding some sugar in the formula milk, and she drank the milk. I also changed Lactogen to Nan pro formula milk. Is it fine to add some sugar in formula milk or is there any other sweet formula milk?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• It is advisable to use a bottle with a nipple for feeding. Also, you can add honey instead of sugar to milk. It will make it sweet. All formula feeds have more or less the same taste, so there is no use changing formulas.
  • Please give your expressed milk with bottle feeding. If the child is still not accepting, you can add honey in the feeds.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thanks a lot for your quick response. Is honey safe to add in milk? Is there any side effects by adding honey in milk? My concern is that baby should not be affected by adding honey or sugar

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Both honey and sugar are known to cause sweet tooth and also dental caries if used very frequently. However, you can use only a drop of honey or a very very small amount of sugar, and that too occasionally to attract the child towards feeding.
  • But I feel that the child will consume bottle feeds well without sweetening the milk.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Why does my baby poop frequently with gas?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 1-month-old daughter. For the past two days, she passes the poop with more gas. I am breastfeeding her (no top milk). She has developed a rash over her genital area. Can you suggest something for her gas problem and frequently pooping with gas? I think pooping frequently causes ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Payas Joshi
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is it happening for the last two days only? Or was it from birth? If it is from birth, then you should go for a stool examination. Or else it will be transient. I hope you are not giving bottle feeding. A rash free ointment can be applied locally. An image of the rash c...  Read Full

Can breast pain and cramps after sexual contact mean pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have PCOS. I had my period a month back. My periods are mostly irregular and I usually have cramps in stomach and my breasts hurt before periods not every time though. I had oral sex with my fiance yesterday, he was wearing a condom throughout but he rubbed his genitals on my vagina...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Since you have taken the emergency pill within 72 hours of intercourse, there is no chance of pregnancy. These symptoms could be because of hormonal changes due to the pill you have taken. So relax and do not worry. However, if you have a doubt then get back to me.For more ...  Read Full

Why does my 10 months old son get loose motions frequently?

Query: Hi doctor, My 10 months old son gets loose motions very frequently from the last two months. He was also admitted one time. Again he is having loose motions. I am giving him Econorm sachet. Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Dr. Preeti Puranik
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Frequent diarrhea and infection do occur at this age, as babies put many things in their mouth, which leads to contamination and infection. Hence, you have to take utmost care regarding the hygiene. Secondly, if there is any bottle feeding, please stop it gradually, as t...  Read Full