Q. My 10 months old baby suddenly refusing breastfeed. Why?

Dr. Hardika Kothari
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2020

My 10 months old baby is refusing to breastfeed suddenly. What can I do to feed him again?

#

Since when is your baby refusing breastfeeding (specify the duration)? Are there any other symptoms associated with refusal to feed? If yes, please specify. How is the activity of your baby? What are the complementary feeds you are giving to your baby apart from your breastfeeding? Is he/she accepting top milk/feeds well?

If your baby has no associated symptoms and is active and accepting complimentary feeds well then have patience.

You can give your expressed breast milk through cup/spoon. This will prevent breast fullness and help further in breast milk production. Attach to your breast whenever there is a hunger cry. If you happen to give more of formula/ solid foods then the baby might not accept breast milk.

Are you feeding her/him with bottle? This might create nipple confusion. Feeding with a bottle is way easier than breastfeeding. Teething pain may hinder breastfeeding. Changes in environmental temperature may also affect breastfeeding. Try changing the feeding position. Recent vaccination might cause pain on the affected arm, thigh, and baby might not be comfortable in a particular position.

Try more skin to skin contact. Enhance emotional bonding with the baby. Talk to the baby and maintain eye contact while feeding. Try feeding baby in a darkened and noise-free environment that will minimize distractions.

|