Q. My mom has severe breathing problem with PAH and right heart failure. Kindly help.

Dr. Zubayeralam

My mother has been suffering from breathing problems for quite a long time. Local doctors used to provide inhalers and Deriphyline tablets for that. Since last year, it went severe, and lately, it has been diagnosed with severe PAH and right heart failure. She is unable to walk or do regular activities. With a small exertion, she feels breathless. I am seeking an opinion. I can send all the test reports for evaluation.

She is currently on Dytor 20 mg every day, Telsar, Thyrox 75, Pan 40, Levolin inhaler, Aerocort inhaler (sos), and Festal N.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your mom has been suffering from severe breathing problems in a little activity for a long time. According to the ECHO report, severe PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension) and right heart failure, but EF (ejection fraction) 60%, within the normal limit. Her CXR (chest x-ray) has revealed bilateral pleural effusion, cardiomegaly, and pulmonary hypertension features due to fluid overload or edema. Fluid in the lungs makes her breathing difficult.

She has already been prescribed Dytor (Torsemide) 20 mg, which excrete more fluids from the lungs. I think a pulse oximeter should monitor her oxygen saturation rate. If her diuretics like Dytor 20 mg cannot excrete fluids from the body, then the accumulation of extra fluids can make such type of respiratory distress. So, repeat echo and CXR should be done to monitor her heart and lungs' present status.

She can be admitted to the hospital for further monitoring and evaluation as she had a history of pleural effusion, PAH, and heart failure.

At home, keep her in a propped up position, and give her oxygen therapy after watching her oxygen saturation rate, and injectable Dexamethasone and diuretics with broad-spectrum antibiotics may be needed after watching the reports of echo, CXR. Nebulization with Salbutamol or Budicort can be given too.

| 

Why am I having breathing problems accompanied by warmth in the body?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having problem in breathing sometimes and the body gets warm. Kindly help me with it.  Read Full »

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full »

How to confirm the symptoms of Coronavirus?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night I was getting chills, feeling more cold than usual and lightheaded and a lot of burping. Maybe like every 30 minutes or less or so feel more chills running down my body and chest feeling bit weird like I am starting having trouble breathing then goes back to normal and repe...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now