Q. My mom has severe breathing problem with PAH and right heart failure. Kindly help.

Answered by
Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 19, 2020

Hello doctor,

My mother has been suffering from breathing problems for quite a long time. Local doctors used to provide inhalers and Deriphyline tablets for that. Since last year, it went severe, and lately, it has been diagnosed with severe PAH and right heart failure. She is unable to walk or do regular activities. With a small exertion, she feels breathless. I am seeking an opinion. I can send all the test reports for evaluation.

She is currently on Dytor 20 mg every day, Telsar, Thyrox 75, Pan 40, Levolin inhaler, Aerocort inhaler (sos), and Festal N.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your mom has been suffering from severe breathing problems in a little activity for a long time. According to the ECHO report, severe PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension) and right heart failure, but EF (ejection fraction) 60%, within the normal limit. Her CXR (chest x-ray) has revealed bilateral pleural effusion, cardiomegaly, and pulmonary hypertension features due to fluid overload or edema. Fluid in the lungs makes her breathing difficult.

She has already been prescribed Dytor (Torsemide) 20 mg, which excrete more fluids from the lungs. I think a pulse oximeter should monitor her oxygen saturation rate. If her diuretics like Dytor 20 mg cannot excrete fluids from the body, then the accumulation of extra fluids can make such type of respiratory distress. So, repeat echo and CXR should be done to monitor her heart and lungs' present status.

She can be admitted to the hospital for further monitoring and evaluation as she had a history of pleural effusion, PAH, and heart failure.

At home, keep her in a propped up position, and give her oxygen therapy after watching her oxygen saturation rate, and injectable Dexamethasone and diuretics with broad-spectrum antibiotics may be needed after watching the reports of echo, CXR. Nebulization with Salbutamol or Budicort can be given too.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Causes and Management for Heart Failure

.. failure, a condition that is common. It explains why and how it happens and also how doctors manage it .. ...   Read full

My chest X-ray shows enlarged heart due to cocaine use. Will it get better?

I then had a chest CT scan and lungs come back clear ... Thank you doctor, My chest x-ray yesterday showed an enlarged heart ...   Read full

I have congestive heart failure with EF at 42. Will this get normal with healthy diet?

.. explain that heart failure is a clinical syndrome. EF (ejection fraction) is not the only element indicative of heart failure. It may differ based on the clinical situation and other parameters. I agree with your current therapy. I agree with you...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What Is Epilepsy Or Seizure Disorder?
We all are familiar with the term epilepsy, and always associate it with fits or seizures. But, there is more to it. So,...  Read more»
Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?
Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Pulmonologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.