Q. Why does my cousin have breathlessness on climbing stairs?

Dr. Prathap
Published on Oct 05, 2017

I have a 21 year old cousin, who is 181 cm tall and weighs 120 kg. He has slight breathlessness when he climbs stairs. He does not have any other health complaints and does regular health checkup. Please take a look at the attached test reports and kindly let us know what has to be done.

Dr. Prathap

#

I have gone through his reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and found the following issues worth mentioning.

• As his weight is 120 kgs, his BMI (body mass index) is around 37, which comes to severe obesity.
  • In the lipid profile, his HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol is high for his age.
  • Vitamin D levels are also low, and vitamin D deficiency is usually seen in people who are sparsely exposed to sunlight. His vitamin B12 levels are low, which is seen in pure vegetarians.
  • For vitamin deficiencies, try the following with the consent of your doctor.
  1. Tablet Vitamin D 60k units once a week for eight weeks.
  2. Tablet ME12 (combination of Mecobalamin, Pyridoxine, and Folic acid) once daily in the night for three months.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for the reply. I have sent you all the details in the blood test report that are higher or lower. Please explain the following: ApoA1 and ApoB, high lipoprotein, high sensitive CRP, vitamin D deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, high ferritin level, low folate, low homocysteine, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high LDL and high uric acid. Also, what is SGOT?

Dr. Prathap

#

• Apolipoprotein A, B, and C are the carrier molecules for cholesterol in the body. Cholesterol in the body exists in five different forms. ApoB is for LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol, which is harmful to the body. The changes in the ratio of ApoA and ApoB speaks about the risk of cardiovascular disease.
  • Lipoproteins and hs-CRP (high-sensitivity C-reactive protein) are again cardiovascular risk factors.
  • High homocysteine also increases cardiac risk, but in your cousin's case, it is not so high to bother.
  • So in your cousin's case, there are multiple cardiac risk factors at a very young age, that is why in the previous answer I have suggested weight loss regime and change the sedentary lifestyle.
  • Ferritin is also low, but it is not a big concern, as it can be improved with iron-rich foods like jaggery, green leafy vegetables, etc.
  • I have already suggested medicines for vitamin D and vitamin B12 deficiencies. Please follow that.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How to treat breathlessness in a metastatic breast cancer patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is oxygen dependent because of pleurodesis since 1 month. She is suffering from breathlessness after talc pleurodesis. She has metastatic breast cancer with distant spread to the lung and liver. There is residual pleural effusion along with bilateral lower lobe consolidation. ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) including your CT scan. It is very sad to be in such a situation with multiple problems. Metastatic breast cancer with underlying lung comorbidities is the cause of her breathlessness. Overal...  Read Full

What is Obesity? Why People Become Over-Weight?

Article Overview: Obesity is a ‘silent epidemic’. This article tells about how to find if you have obesity and the reasons for it. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Who is Considered as An Obese Person? An Obese person is one who has too much body fat and thus has a negative effect on their health. A person is considered obese when they have a weight over 20% of their ideal body weight. On the other hand, one may consider body mass index. Body mass index, ...  Read Article

Why does my breathlessness get worse when cocaine wears off?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking cocaine once a week for 20 years and on the 1st of last month, I started getting a cough and breathless. It was getting worse when the cocaine wore off. Anyway, I had an ECG which was clear and a 24-hour tape also clear. CT scan on lungs clear. Then I had an ultraso...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, cocaine has got a wide range of effects on the heart. So, hypokinesia means there is some damage to the heart which may be due to cocaine or may be due to coexistent coronary artery disease. So, you will need coronary angiography preferably, conventional and...  Read Full