Q. I have deranged triglycerides and HDL. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Dec 23, 2018

Hi doctor,

My cholesterol is 170, triglycerides are 293, HDL 24 and LDL 107, non-HDL cholesterol 143. What measures should I take and when should I repeat my test?

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your report, and especially your triglycerides and HDL are deranged. These are not immediately life-threatening but may be harmful in long term. Firstly, I guess this was a fasting sample even without tea in the morning, if not then you should get it repeated with absolute fasting of at least eight hours as it can falsely elevate triglycerides. Next thing, you should have a period of 2 to 3 months with a healthy lifestyle before starting medicines as medicine may reduce triglycerides but it will again rise after you stop medicines. So maintenance is important with lifestyle changes.

So, you should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty oily and a high-calorie diet. Avoid free sugar, cola drink, and other beverages. Plenty of green leafy vegetables. Reduce alcohol consumption and smoking, non-vegetarian especially meat and chicken, if any. Most important are the exercise to burn your lipids, so should have at least 30 minutes a day and at least five days a week of exercise like brisk walking or running according to your capacity. After 2 to 3 months of a healthy lifestyle, repeat lipid profile and see for the changes. If there is no response then you may take medicines like Fenofibrate.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply. I do my lipid profile every six months. This is the first time it is high. Can you tell me the main reason?

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Most of the times, it is diet or lifestyle related. In remaining, some minor genetic abnormalities are there which manifests later in the life coupled with diet changes. So, it is likely related to lifestyle meaning consumption of excessive calories and fat than what your body needs in a day. If you have other symptoms like constipation, tiredness, hair loss or even otherwise, it is better to get tested for thyroid once, which can cause these things sometimes, if not done recently. I guess you must have undergone sugar tests as well. All the best.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Is surgery the only option in case of a heart defect such as ASD?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently went for an annual health checkup. I was diagnosed with a heart defect (ASD) and was recommended a surgical closure. In this regard, I need your opinion and guidance.  Read Full »

Shivering while sleeping for a couple of seconds. What is the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My father, age 67, while sleeping has shivers for a couple of seconds. This happens after an interval of 1 to 2 minutes. Is it something to be worried or concerned about? He is consuming BP control medicine Amlong 0.5 mg daily. No other ongoing health problems apart from his knee pain...  Read Full »

What does high homocysteine level indicate?

Query: Hello doctor,I have got my complete blood test check done and found out that certain tests under different heads have high values (more than the reference range). I can send you this test in soft copy format and would like to find out if there is something serious about which I should visit a hospit...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.