Q. I have deranged triglycerides and HDL. Why?

My cholesterol is 170, triglycerides are 293, HDL 24 and LDL 107, non-HDL cholesterol 143. What measures should I take and when should I repeat my test?

#

I have gone through your report, and especially your triglycerides and HDL are deranged. These are not immediately life-threatening but may be harmful in long term. Firstly, I guess this was a fasting sample even without tea in the morning, if not then you should get it repeated with absolute fasting of at least eight hours as it can falsely elevate triglycerides. Next thing, you should have a period of 2 to 3 months with a healthy lifestyle before starting medicines as medicine may reduce triglycerides but it will again rise after you stop medicines. So maintenance is important with lifestyle changes.

So, you should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty oily and a high-calorie diet. Avoid free sugar, cola drink, and other beverages. Plenty of green leafy vegetables. Reduce alcohol consumption and smoking, non-vegetarian especially meat and chicken, if any. Most important are the exercise to burn your lipids, so should have at least 30 minutes a day and at least five days a week of exercise like brisk walking or running according to your capacity. After 2 to 3 months of a healthy lifestyle, repeat lipid profile and see for the changes. If there is no response then you may take medicines like Fenofibrate.

Thank you for your reply. I do my lipid profile every six months. This is the first time it is high. Can you tell me the main reason?

#

Most of the times, it is diet or lifestyle related. In remaining, some minor genetic abnormalities are there which manifests later in the life coupled with diet changes. So, it is likely related to lifestyle meaning consumption of excessive calories and fat than what your body needs in a day. If you have other symptoms like constipation, tiredness, hair loss or even otherwise, it is better to get tested for thyroid once, which can cause these things sometimes, if not done recently. I guess you must have undergone sugar tests as well. All the best.

|