Q. Had a broken glass injury eight months ago and it is still paining. Why?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

Around 7 to 8 months ago, I dropped a glass on the floor and got a fairly bad cut on my hand. In the local A and E, I had an x-ray and the doctor said that the nurse will have a look to make sure that there is no glass. Then, the nurse came in and patched me up. She said that she has been told to bandage it up as the doctor has thought it was fine. Quite often, I am getting pain where the cut is located and it feels as if there is something sharp. I do not know whether it is healed or there is something still in there. But, it does not hurt to touch or press down on the wound. It has scarred over now.

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

• Considering that eight months have passed and the scar is not paining at all, the possibility of glass pieces inside is negligible.
  • The pain may be because of the nerve healing, which usually happens over a few weeks to months.
  • If it is really bothering you, then there are a few drugs to relieve the symptoms of nerve pain. Please consult your doctor, discuss with him or her regarding drugs.
  • Revert back with a picture of the scar if possible as it might help to know the wound depth.

Revert back with the photo to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|