Q. I have severe cough with phlegm and breathing difficulty even after taking medicines. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 09, 2019

I am having this problem for more than two months. I have severe cough, the whole day I used to spit phlegm normally and suddenly dry cough starts mostly in the night. I face difficulty in breathing and less spitting of phlegm. My blood test report shows

AEC 532 cells/mL.

ESR-07 mm/hrs.

HB-15.2 g%.

TLC- 7600/cumm.

I have taken a number of medicines, but the problem remains the same again. Now what I have to do? Please suggest.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Many patients come to me with similar complaints. Especially during the winter season when it is windy.

As per your description, you seem to suffer from bronchitis. The presence of thick phlegm indicates it is a bacterial infection. The values of hemoglobin, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and TLC (total leukocyte count) are within normal limits. Absolute eosinophil count (AEC) is slightly towards the higher side. High AEC is mostly due to the infection that you are suffering from.

For these complaints, I would suggest a course of antibiotics which have good action on the respiratory system, a course of anti-inflammatory tablets, mucolytics and antihistaminics for a week. During the course of treatment please refrain from smoking, going out in dusty weather, drinking or eating spicy, cold, and oily foods. Take steam inhalation thrice a day and drink plenty of warm water.

A small chance is that it could be due to asthma or allergy. For the same, you need to take a course of the above medications and see if still no respite then we can give you specific treatment for allergic bronchitis or asthma.

Allergy, infection, hypersensitivity.

I suggest you the following measures, kindly follow those and let me know how you feel.
Course of Levofloxacin 500 mg one tablet per day for five days.
Chymoral Forte (Trypsin/ Chymotrypsin) tablet before food twice a day for two to three days.
Accocontin tablets (Ambroxol hydrochloride) twice a day before food for five days.
Montec-LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) in the night for five days.
Brodil (Levosalbutamol) cough syrup 5 ml thrice a day for four days.

Steam inhalation.
Avoid smoke, dust, and cold weather.
Avoid cold foods, drinks, and spicy foods.
Take plenty of warm water.

Do contact me if you need further support. If above measures fail we can do some investigations and check for an allergic etiology in you.

| 

I have varicocele. Is there a way to control it by yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I have the right varicocele, which is 4 mm in size due to which I have very mild pain in the right testis. Do you think this can be treated by yoga in any way or if yoga can help in controlling this?  Read Full »

I had severe palpitations but my ECG and echo are normal. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an episode of severe palpitations early this year, following which I went through ECG, 2D echo, stress test, and troponin. All the tests were normal. I have been experiencing intermittent chest, neck, and back pain since two yrars. The doctor started with Nebicard SM 5 mg, which ...  Read Full »

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now