Q. My wife keeps coughing at midnight. What is the reason?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

My wife keeps coughing at midnight and has breathing problem sometimes. So, doctor suggested an x-ray. I am attaching the report here for your reference. I tried searching information online and got some details, but want to know the exact cause, stage and treatment. So, please guide me. Thank you.

#

It would be very helpful if you would share how long she has the symptoms of cough.

Also, did she have any associated symptoms like fever, body ache? Did they bring up phlegm? Is there any history of weight loss or change in appetite?

I assume that your symptoms were less than a week and this may well represent acute bronchitis.

It can be viral or bacterial. Keeping in mind the current viral season (influenza), it is most likely viral in origin. But, I can be more certain if you would kindly answer the questions above.

• Bronchitis if viral is only treated symptomatically, which means Paracetamol or Ibuprofen along with an inhaler (if wheezing present) and cough syrup.
  • The bacterial firm would need antibiotics. Rarely might we have to use oral or inhaled steroids.
  • Please share the answers to the questions above because if your symptoms are long term there will be a whole set of another differentials and treatment.

Revert back with the asked answers to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Can normal saline aid in curing cough in a kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 6-year-old child is having asthma and is coughing in the night. He uses a nebulizer. I am giving him normal saline. Please help.  Read Full »

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full »

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »