Q. What are the ways to lighten a dark skin tone without damaging it?

Dr. Subhash Kashyap
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2020

I just wanted to find out is it possible to lighten a dark skin tone without damaging it? If so could this be done at home or at a dermatologist? Would you recommend a teenager getting it? When I was younger I had a light skin tone but due to alot of swimming and sun exposure I damaged it and got dark, is it possible to get the same skin tone I had? I am a female, 18.

#

Skin color is genetic. Amount of sun exposure can increase or decrease it, as per your genetic constitution of skin melanocytes the dark pigment producing cells. Dark skin is healthy as it prevents its bearer the side effects of sun exposure thus lesser chances of dreaded skin cancers and delayed skin ageing. Still ignorant people think white skin is better and a false psychological cosmetic superiority is associated with it. This is fostered by fairness cosmetic industry to promote their interests.White skin need additional sunscreen protection to prevent aging and cancers but for those who still need fairer skin can avoid sunlight as much as possible and also sunscreen then the melanocytes in their skin will produce less dark pigment and thus fairer skin. So you can avoid sun exposure and use regular sunscreen that much is best non harmful way to be so called fairer.

|