Q. I have brown spots on both sides of my face for the past five years. Kindly help.

I am a 37-year-old male. I have brown spots/pigmentation on both sides of the face (beside the nose) for four to five years. It is becoming larger. I never used any cream. The maximum time I am working inside the office. I am attaching photos. Please suggest.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and description. It looks like melasma or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Melasma is an acquired pigmentation of sun-exposed areas. Areas that receive excessive sun exposure, including the cheeks, the upper lip, the chin, and the forehead are the most common locations.

Melasma can be difficult to treat. The pigment of melasma develops gradually, and resolution is also gradual.

Treatment part:

1. Avoiding direct sunlight.

2. Use a broad-brimmed hat if you go out in the sun.

3. Use skin-lightening cream during night hours over affected areas like Clear cream (kojic acid) or HHlite cream.

4. Use broad-spectrum physical sunscreen like Suncros tint daily during morning hour after bath all over the face. Repeat once in four hours.

Other treatment options are Glycolic acid chemical peel, Nd YAG laser with variable results.

| 

I would like to go with Kojic acid and Suncros tint or Glycolic acid chemical peel. Please suggest less side effects and fast-acting medicine along with using the procedure. Kindly confirm how much time will be taken for complete cure.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

You can go for 35% chemical peeling once in three weeks, Kojic acid plus night application, and sunscreen in the morning daily for three to four months.

|