Why is my urine brown in color even after completing the antibiotic course for UTI?

Q. What could be the reason for brown-colored urine in someone who underwent treatment for UTI recently?

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2022 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2023

I was diagnosed with UTI last month. I was prescribed antibiotics for three days. A few days back, when I urinated, my urine was brownish (a sign of blood), and slight burning sensation on that same day which was not there till then. I bought some UTI test strips, and my first test was positive for a trace of leukocytes but negative for nitrite. I started drinking lots of cranberry juice and water. I took another UTI test strip yesterday morning, and the leukocytes and nitrite results are positive. I would like to get some medical advice if I should go back to the doctor or wait as I am not feeling any symptoms, but the test results are concerning since I just had one almost two weeks ago. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. You can take a course of antibiotics and then repeat the test after five days. I would suggest you to take tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for five days. An ultrasound of KUB (kidneys, ureters, and bladder) to check whether you have any other issues.

Kindly revert for more queries.

Thank you for your reply.

So should I repeat the antibiotics even though I had a UTI almost two weeks ago? Could it be antibiotic-resistant? Kindly help.

#

To know the type of bacteria and the resistance, you should do a urine culture and sensitivity test before starting the antibiotic. An ultrasound scan is to see if you need any other treatment. You can take cranberry for prevention after treatment.

|