Q. Why does recurrent UTIs occur after taking powerful and costly antibiotics?

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Hi dotor,

This is regarding my friend's dad, aged 76-years-old. He has had recurrent urinary tract infections in the past three months, and every time the culture shows up, some bacteria, I guess, E Coli. He also strains while passing urine and has weak power (stream). He has also already taken Nitrofurantoin, Augmentin duo, and Levobact 750 mg, but the recent culture still shows E coli. He has had high blood pressure and diabetes for the past 20 years, but well-maintained fasting blood sugar is usually between 80- 100 mg/dL, and BP is usually between 120- 130 mm Hg. He does not have a burning sensation while urinating, fever, pain in the back and has never seen blood in the urine. He is currently taking Urimax 0.4, Telma AT, Amlong 5 mg, and Glucomet tablets. Our doctor said there can be some blockage or obstruction and has suggested some tests like PSA and CT Urography. Please go through the attached reports and please clear our doubts,

1) Why is he always having infections and RBC in his urine?

2) Why is it not going away after taking powerful and costly antibiotics?

3) How to treat early renal parenchymal disease as seen on Ultrasound?

4) He has albumin 80, creatinine 50, and Serum creatinine is 1.2 in urine. What does it signify, and how to treat it?

5) Should we also do PSA and CTU as costly tests?

6) What treatment do you advise?

Please guide us.

#

I will answer the point of your question by point.

1) Why is he always having infections and RBC (red blood cells) in urine?

It always means whenever he is having UTI (urinary tract infection), pus cells and RBC are bound to come.

Sometimes the organism is resistant to oral antibiotics, so we have to switch to injectables. Moreover, sometimes antibiotics have to be taken for an extended period, say three months.

3) How to treat early renal parenchymal disease as seen on ultrasound?

By strict control of diabetes or hypertension as well as proper UTI treatment.

4) He has albumin of 80 mg/dL, creatinine of 50 mg/dL, and serum creatinine is 1.2 mg/dL in urine. What does it signify, and how to treat it?

Albumin can occur in UTIs and diabetics. Once it gets settled, albumin should also get corrected. Sometimes even very good control of diabetes albumin can come. Urine and serum creatinine levels are normal

5) Should we also do PSA (prostate-specific antigen) and CTU (computed tomography urogram) as they are costly tests?

I think you should have these tests done as all pathologies can not be picked in ultrasound. 6) What treatment do you advise? If there is a recurrent UTI, I will further investigate him based on CT (computed tomography) and switch to an injectable plus oral antibiotics combination. His post-void residual urine is significantly high, so I suggest taking the following,

1) Tablet Urimax D HS (Tamsulosin 0.4mg and Dutasteride 0.5mg) for lifelong

|