Q. I am passing cloudy urine with strong smell and painful urination. Please suggest treatment.

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

I am a 41-year-old female. I have UTI symptoms since Monday, about four days now. I have cloudy urine with strong smell and stinging pain while urinating. I do not want to go to the hospital due to the risk of COVID-19. I am currently on 10 mg Imidapril for hypertension. Please help.

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. It is indeed an intelligent choice to avoid hospital in view of COVID-19. The symptoms as you have told are cloudy urine, strong smell and pain during urination which you have told are of UTI (urinary tract infection) of the urethra. I hope you are not having a fever and vomiting? If yes, then please let me know.

Since you have had UTI before so in future dink plenty of water, after urination wipe yourself from front to back, avoid allergic deodorant powders, etc., to prevent getting UTI in the future.

Now that you are suffering from UTI already it will be ideal if you can get a urine culture examination done however, in the view of COVID-19 if you are unable to go and if home collection of sample in your country is possible then go for it. This examination will tell which bacteria and other cells are present in your urine and thus I will be able to prescribe the most effective medicines.

However in the meantime, you can start antibiotic course. You can take Bactrim tablet (regular and not double strength) once in the morning and then in the night after meals. Continue this for three days and then contact for review.

Also if the pain during urination is not unbearable I will not suggest any medicine however, if you cannot handle it then I will prescribe Paracetamol for you. But do not take if not required as medicines do have their side effects.

Adopt a healthy lifestyle, your weight is also good, you appear to be fit. Keep it up. Try to control BP through diet control, exercise, and stress-free lifestyle. You can keep an hour difference between the hypertension medicine and Bactrim.

Follow up after three days.

| 

I have no fever and no vomiting. There is only pain when urinating. Buying antibiotics here is regulated, they do not sell unless we have a doctor's prescription, may I ask for a prescription for the antibiotic?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Tablet Nitrofurantoin 100 mg thrice daily for five days, tablet Flavospas twice daily for three days, and syrup Alkasol 5 ml with half glass water twice daily for five days.

|