iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal MedicinebruiseWhy does my arm feel still and tender after an accident?

Why am I having muscle tenderness after an accident?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 13, 2019
Reviewed AtSeptember 14, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I recently had a car accident. I was passenger. How can my arm feel very still and tender? The doctor at the urgent care gave me Naproxen but my muscle is still tender and I have not been able to sleep at all. The doctor gave me Hydroxyzine which did not work.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

If it is just a bruise, then you just need to give it time and pain control with some NSAID like Naproxen, and need no intervention but only if your swelling start getting worse. But in any accident we should consider ruling out underlying bone fracture as bone fractures need to be fixed surgically. I am not sure how bad your accident was, and how your bruises look like but if it is bad enough then might need X-rays to rule out underlying fracture. I believe that urgent care doctor have ruled out or did not think of fracture after examination. So just keep taking Naproxen, cold compresses with ice (wrapped in plastic bag or cloth) might help. Contact doctor if swelling or tenderness do not start getting better in 2 to 3 days or start getting worse.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat
Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

bruisebone fracture

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy