Q. Why am I having muscle tenderness after an accident?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

I recently had a car accident. I was passenger. How can my arm feel very still and tender? The doctor at the urgent care gave me Naproxen but my muscle is still tender and I have not been able to sleep at all. The doctor gave me Hydroxyzine which did not work.

#

If it is just a bruise, then you just need to give it time and pain control with some NSAID like Naproxen, and need no intervention but only if your swelling start getting worse. But in any accident we should consider ruling out underlying bone fracture as bone fractures need to be fixed surgically. I am not sure how bad your accident was, and how your bruises look like but if it is bad enough then might need X-rays to rule out underlying fracture. I believe that urgent care doctor have ruled out or did not think of fracture after examination. So just keep taking Naproxen, cold compresses with ice (wrapped in plastic bag or cloth) might help. Contact doctor if swelling or tenderness do not start getting better in 2 to 3 days or start getting worse.

| 

What is the treatment for swelling and bruising caused by gymnastics?

Query: Hi doctor, I did some gymnastics on the trampoline and landed on it funny. Then, it started to hurt painfully. Now, it has bruised and swollen. I can only bend it backwards and not forward. Could you please help me?  Read Full »

I still have painful bruises a year after iron injections. What needs to be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55 year old female. 12 months ago, I was given four iron injections in my buttocks alternating over four weeks. There is staining area of about six inches on each side which is fading. However, on the top and bottom edges of the stained area is a blue bruise which is as painful...  Read Full »

I noticed blood in my dad's nose after a fall. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad met with a fall in the bathroom today and bled from the right side of his nose. The bleeding stopped after 2 minutes, but I noticed that the nose contains a few drops of blood. I took him to the ER and had an x-ray. But, my doctor advised us to go home and have a review after a wee...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»