Q. Why am I having muscle tenderness after an accident?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

I recently had a car accident. I was passenger. How can my arm feel very still and tender? The doctor at the urgent care gave me Naproxen but my muscle is still tender and I have not been able to sleep at all. The doctor gave me Hydroxyzine which did not work.

#

If it is just a bruise, then you just need to give it time and pain control with some NSAID like Naproxen, and need no intervention but only if your swelling start getting worse. But in any accident we should consider ruling out underlying bone fracture as bone fractures need to be fixed surgically. I am not sure how bad your accident was, and how your bruises look like but if it is bad enough then might need X-rays to rule out underlying fracture. I believe that urgent care doctor have ruled out or did not think of fracture after examination. So just keep taking Naproxen, cold compresses with ice (wrapped in plastic bag or cloth) might help. Contact doctor if swelling or tenderness do not start getting better in 2 to 3 days or start getting worse.

|